Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

modified stock frame turbo for track use?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
i didn't see anything that reference road racing in that thread. i'm not looking for a dyno queen that can do a couple high boost pull. it has to make that power for 30 minutes straight 4-5 times a day, 25-30 days a year. if only they had e85 at the track, it would be so easy.
I totally understand that and your missing the point of the whole thread. You were asking for 360 to 400 whp which can be achieved on a stock turbo with 93 fuel. I totally understand how road racing works. My own rs was a road race car before I bought it. Car was under powered but still made 340 hp and I know the guy beat it to ****. The stock turbos will handle the abuse. I figured by showing you that info I could save you some cash. If your not interested then my bad, just tring to be a good guy.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wjamyers
Hmmm:

2011 NASA TTU NATIONAL CHAMPION
10.4 @ 133mph, CBRD BBK Full, Pure Tuned

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/me...lutionary.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...eo-thread.html
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Wait a minute - that IS myself!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:41 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
I totally understand that and your missing the point of the whole thread. You were asking for 360 to 400 whp which can be achieved on a stock turbo with 93 fuel. I totally understand how road racing works. My own rs was a road race car before I bought it. Car was under powered but still made 340 hp and I know the guy beat it to ****. The stock turbos will handle the abuse. I figured by showing you that info I could save you some cash. If your not interested then my bad, just tring to be a good guy.

well, on 93 you arent generally going to make 360-400whp on a dyno like ours with bolt ons etc--- usually 330-340 range---

a slightly larger turbo allows you to do that without running massive boost- and keeping turbo outlet temps lower-

whether it be, FP, CBRD, etc--

cb
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
I think to get to that point with the stock IX turbo would require lots of other upgrades. It would be easier to just bolt on a larger turbo and get the same end result.

I would think a BBK Lite could put you close to your racing goals with a sweet a$$ tune from Petey, but IDK about raising the level for regular hpde's... If it were me, I would probably go with a BBK-BB, but what the heck do I know.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
looks like i'm leaning toward BBK Lite to keep the stock hot side for reliability. if that doesn't get me to the power level i want, then i'll throw in a set of cams sine they are easy to do.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i didn't see anything that reference road racing in that thread. i'm not looking for a dyno queen that can do a couple high boost pull. it has to make that power for 30 minutes straight 4-5 times a day, 25-30 days a year. if only they had e85 at the track, it would be so easy.

Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

I would have to cary 100 gallons for the weekend and enough to make the 3 hours trip home. I don't tow my car.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have to cary 100 gallons for the weekend and enough to make the 3 hours trip home. I don't tow my car.
With that much fuel packed into the car you would have jugs behind your seat, in the passenger seat, in the trunk.... dying a napalm fireball death on the freeway sounds like a bad idea to me.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess the BB Green of the new HKS Unit. The stock turbo can indeed make 360WHP but the issue is that it falls after that. A green would make and hold that kinda power. Go Bb Green.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
With that much fuel packed into the car you would have jugs behind your seat, in the passenger seat, in the trunk.... dying a napalm fireball death on the freeway sounds like a bad idea to me.
No *****....

BB green FTW
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by CBRD
well, on 93 you arent generally going to make 360-400whp on a dyno like ours with bolt ons etc--- usually 330-340 range---

a slightly larger turbo allows you to do that without running massive boost- and keeping turbo outlet temps lower-

whether it be, FP, CBRD, etc--

cb
Correct on your dyno you would make 352ish give or take making 400 dj. Like I said no disrespect or nothing, just tring to save the brotha a few bucks thats all.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by grillpt
I think to get to that point with the stock IX turbo would require lots of other upgrades. It would be easier to just bolt on a larger turbo and get the same end result.

I would think a BBK Lite could put you close to your racing goals with a sweet a$$ tune from Petey, but IDK about raising the level for regular hpde's... If it were me, I would probably go with a BBK-BB, but what the heck do I know.
Not really, I mean when I bought my car it had very little on it. Tbe, boost controller, catch can, and full coil overs and rims and tires. Car was tuned with a decent boost leak they failed to find so the car was underpowered. I agree with maybe the upgraded turbo as Chad said will help with temps yadda yadda with lower boost.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
Running any kind of stock framed turbo you're going to have problems with the hotside. plain and simple.
To help keep EGT's down and help the hotside survive, you can add water injection. But 30minutes at a time is killer.
Maybe ducting cold air onto the turbine housing will help too.
If reliability is paramount over anything else, and you can use another turbo, i would try to run a small garrett turbo with a stainless steel tial housing.

something like this
http://www.tialsport.com/prod%20ss%20turbo.html#sgt2528
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

most events have 25 minutes sessions, so probably about 20 minutes of full throttle. some events have 30 minutes and some even 50 minutes but i don't stay out that long.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:15 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you go through lots of fuel at road race events, so it can be a pain-

again- you can run something slighly bigger and make the power "easier" or tax what you have in the stock turbo- and make higher compressor outlet temps etc-

cb

Quick Reply: modified stock frame turbo for track use?