Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Looking for the best LSD for an Evo VIII

Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for the best LSD for an Evo VIII

I'm looking to set my car up for time attack/rally course driving. I want something that will hold the power down, keep all wheels moving at pretty close to the same speed/power band and also something that I can rely on. I love breaking the car loose for drifting as well so taking all 3 of those factors into consideration please advise on what would be best. Thanks.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.quaifelsd.com/
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks I've been looking at this one but it seems this is pretty much the only one out there? besides maybe 1 or 2 others.
Originally Posted by Murf
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a wave track on the front for mine ( doesn't free wheel if airborne on one side like the quaife does- torsion based LSD) and an os geiken rear hard core set up would be ralliart super traction though.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Shep trans offers some rear diff upgrade options too.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

shep trans did my os geiken
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by justincase
I have a wave track on the front for mine ( doesn't free wheel if airborne on one side like the quaife does- torsion based LSD) and an os geiken rear hard core set up would be ralliart super traction though.
Yea I'm gonna end up going with the Wavetrac lsd in the front and center. I'm just going to re stack the rear differential since we all got F'ed by the USDM market if you have a US spec Evo.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

You don't need an aftermarket rear diff, you just need to re stack it.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rear-diff.html

For all USDM versions of the Evo they purposefully stacked the disc's and plates wrong so it causes understeer due to the fact Most Americans don't know how to corner so the are "protecting us from ourselves". Then again it could have been "Big Brother" know it all Government stepping in and putting some horse crap regulation on yet another aspect of our lives trying to control us. Anyway it happens that link will help everyone make their car drive like an Evo and not an STI.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Wavetrac is good for the front. If you like to drift thru a corner than get a 2 way. If u need grip thru a corner u opt for a 1.5 way lsd. And then you need to decide how much lock u want 40, 60, 80 or 100%.

I'm certain tre or shep can adjust ur lsd which ever one u decide on. I like the O.S. Giken Super Lock for the track. If ur going to street ur car just go with OEM RS LSD. its an inexpensive route over at TRE.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoone
Wavetrac is good for the front. If you like to drift thru a corner than get a 2 way. If u need grip thru a corner u opt for a 1.5 way lsd. And then you need to decide how much lock u want 40, 60, 80 or 100%.

I'm certain tre or shep can adjust ur lsd which ever one u decide on. I like the O.S. Giken Super Lock for the track. If ur going to street ur car just go with OEM RS LSD. its an inexpensive route over at TRE.
Wait a minute - does this mean the USDM IX RS evo comes with a properly stacked re-end?

I'm preparing to do this job next week and would be livid if I got down to the plates and found it was already stacked correctly.

Can anyone else who drives a USDM IX RS confirm?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rcgoff2
Wait a minute - does this mean the USDM IX RS evo comes with a properly stacked re-end?

I'm preparing to do this job next week and would be livid if I got down to the plates and found it was already stacked correctly.

Can anyone else who drives a USDM IX RS confirm?
The only thing I have heard about from the USDM Evo's having stacking issues is the REAR DIFF. They stacked those plates wrong but the RS Front LSD from my knowledge is stacked properly.

The USDM Market stacked the Rear improperly because most Americans don't know how to drive and it saves from causing accidents from oversteer or the back end kicking around on a launch. Now many of us don't have this issue, but there are a lot of idiots out there .
Old Mar 6, 2013, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

wavetrac Center diff? i didnt know that was avalible.
Thought it was just the Quaife and the LOL 2 thousand buck Cusco.... for the center diffs, QDH11B and QDH13B for the 6 speed.
I have the Quaife Front diff in my new transfer case, not installed yet thou.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by 03BoostedVIII
The USDM Market stacked the Rear improperly because most Americans don't know how to drive and it saves from causing accidents from oversteer or the back end kicking around on a launch. Now many of us don't have this issue, but there are a lot of idiots out there .
once you restack your stock diff you'll realize why they stack them the way they do from the factory. Noise. everyone that gets in my car asks what's broken.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Can anyone confirm if the IX RS USDM evo came with the diff stacked properly????
Old Mar 6, 2013, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 03BoostedVIII
The only thing I have heard about from the USDM Evo's having stacking issues is the REAR DIFF. They stacked those plates wrong but the RS Front LSD from my knowledge is stacked properly.

The front diff is a torsion diff in the RS, there are no plates to begin with, much less stack them properly.

+1 on the rear being changed simply because of noise as griceiv mentioned.

Do any of the aftermarket center diffs eliminate the viscous coupler in the transfer case?

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Mar 6, 2013 at 03:44 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for the best LSD for an Evo VIII