Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

gains from forward facing turbo setups?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gains from forward facing turbo setups?

just curious about what kind of gains there are to be had with a forward facing setup compared to a regular setup, with the same turbo. if there are before and after dynographs to maybe prove that they are worth it, then maybe i'll give in

i would imagine an increase in spool, but how dramatic of an increase? and correct me if i'm wrong, the turbo would be ingesting air at a faster rate with a forward facing setup, but I don't think that necessarily means an increase in the amount of air that gets pushed out, since that is limited to the size of the compressor wheel...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

pretty sure its a BLING factor most of the time, and probably lowers AIT's by injesting cooler outside air then warmer engine bay temps.. but i still think its BAD A**!!!!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

i went from a standard location t3 3586 to a ff tial vband 3586.. i dont know if its the whole forward facing factor or the tial hotside.. but my car spools close to 3-400rpm faster than it did... but i mainly did it for the coolness factor
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

cool is one thing, but not sure if the price is justified...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You go Forward Facing to cram as much air as possible directly into the turbo as you make your pass down the track/road. Yes there is a baller-factor to it, but forward facing cars compared to stock location manifolds will make more power lb for lb (same turbo obviously).

It is streetable, and has been proven, but its more of a drag racing mod. Unless people are AutoXing with them, which would be sick.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Forward facing turbos on a daily driver are lame unless you run a filter. Nothing screams I'm a retard more than driving your car around with no filter!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you wont see any of the gains of a FF kit VS a standard kit on the dyno. the reason being the car is stationary and the fans used to cool the car do not blow air hard enough to simulate real world conditions.

but to get the car on the street or drag strip is a hole new factor. it really begins to make a difference in the 80+MPH range. there is a difference. its not just for ''bling''
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1. Also the filter on the dyno made no difference. I'm sure its a restriction on the street but I'm not willing to ruin a turbo to find out.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I run my block off plate all the time. The only time it's been off was on the dyno.

Smurf, are you stalking me? Maybe it's the other way around. Every thread I lurk, there you are.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
+1. Also the filter on the dyno made no difference. I'm sure its a restriction on the street but I'm not willing to ruin a turbo to find out.
if you drag race just take the filter off. there is nothing in front of you. except a bug or 2.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Some Honda guys have done some testing with "ram air" setups. If you do a forward facing setup correctly, you could expect the same results these guys saw.

On a SFWD car a couple years ago, the difference was like 162mph to 167mph. Pretty significant to say the least.

IMO, it will be more significant when bumping up against the flow limit of the compressor as it can greatly increase the inlet pressure which will give you a higher actual airflow for a given corrected airflow rating.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Bump. I like to know more info about this aswell. See dyno comparison sheets or something. I'm still debating on how I wanna do my Hta3586 turbo set up, FF, or STD turbo set up.
MIKE
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also wondered about this. I spoke to Aaron at English in Yakima last year and i think he was saying they seen a 40hp difference on there (Jeffs) drag car with forward facing set up.
Will be sweet to see tested before and afters.
Running the half radiator is the only minus for me, it then limits what you can really do with the car, im sure Auto-x and road racing would not jive to well with that limited cooling set up.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:52 PM

I would personally like to see water temperatures of someone who autocrosses lightly or does HPDE events on a FF setup with a decent branded half radiator. If the temperatures stayed somewhat controlled and you could run a setup that had a filter, I would see no downsides to it.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

i guess the only way to prove the difference is actual before and after actual drag runs/trap speed since the dyno results would be similar since the airflow cannot be simulated properly with the fans.

Quick Reply: gains from forward facing turbo setups?