Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Competition stage 3 un-sprung vs Exedy double HD

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2012, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Competition stage 3 un-sprung vs Exedy double HD

Ok guys I'm still searching for which clutch I want to run. I've been dreading buying an Exedy double because of the price. 3x more than anyone else asks for their clutches (ACT and Comp) I know of all the problems EVO owners have with ACT so I'm definitely staying away from them. How about this Comp stage 3 segmented cerametalic? Says where sold that this is a great street AND strip clutch that can be engaged easily and can hold 100% more tq than stock and the price is around $500 which looks quite attractive to me. I want to hear from daily drivers that also use this on weekends to race, how smooth is it and how long do these generally last? Right now I'm at 360ft lbs which I know my Exedy single can hold but I want to swap my turbo setup for a GT30 or 35R with cams, springs and get a tune on E85 and I know my clutch is going to need a replaced asap. Fill me in with your experience! Thanks

I should add that 90% of my driving is street and I will be tracking it about a dozen times a season, no drag racing.

EDIT Wow I didn't see there's finally a detailed clutch review right below. Still will appreicate hearing some first hand experiences!

Last edited by PatricksEvilEvo; May 15, 2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
If 90% of your driving is street then you definitely want to get a sprung-hub clutch disc. Check out the HD Street or segmented Kevlar kits from Competition.
Old May 15, 2012, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
If 90% of your driving is street then you definitely want to get a sprung-hub clutch disc. Check out the HD Street or segmented Kevlar kits from Competition.
Cosigned! If you are going to stick with CCI go with the stage 3 kit segmented carbon kevlar clutch. Way easy to drive, moderate pedal feel and awesome torque holding with great street manners. I put one in a friend's evo 8 for him and afterwards put one in my evo x before i sold it. Get this, my evo x had the dreaded rear main seal leak and **** all over my brand new clutch and started making it slip baaad. i fixed the rear main seal, put everything back together and drove the car daily for a month or so after it was back together and it actually began to dry out and grip again. after about a full two months of driving it was back to where it was if not better and holding 405awtq! that happened last year when i went to tx2k11 and the new owner of the car loves the clutch to this day.
Old May 15, 2012, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

I heard the kevlar kits get overheated and slip. It was on another thread on here I think. Not sure if its correct info or not...
Old May 15, 2012, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by boostzealot
Cosigned! If you are going to stick with CCI go with the stage 3 kit segmented carbon kevlar clutch. Way easy to drive, moderate pedal feel and awesome torque holding with great street manners. I put one in a friend's evo 8 for him and afterwards put one in my evo x before i sold it. Get this, my evo x had the dreaded rear main seal leak and **** all over my brand new clutch and started making it slip baaad. i fixed the rear main seal, put everything back together and drove the car daily for a month or so after it was back together and it actually began to dry out and grip again. after about a full two months of driving it was back to where it was if not better and holding 405awtq! that happened last year when i went to tx2k11 and the new owner of the car loves the clutch to this day.
Just to clarify for you

Stage 2 is a Carbon Kevlar
Stage 3 is a Segmented Kevlar
Old May 15, 2012, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys I appreciate the info, overall you guys like Comp clutches? I'm wondering what kind of life I can expect to get out of it and how smooth these will be daily driving in summer. Sounds like stage 3 carbon is the way to go?

EDIT Ok now that I've been out of work and actually have time to search, I'm finding tons of bad reviews and people saying these clutches are weak, the kevlar burns up really easily, they don't last too long, chattery as hell etc. True? I'm getting mixed emotions, you few guys say they're good, others in the past say never use them over 350wtq, never launch etc. Now that I don't see myself wanting their kevlar stage 3 in fear of one bad burn, will an HD street hold up with around 400whp/tq and anyone know what kind of abuse it can take?

Last edited by PatricksEvilEvo; May 15, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dominic@CCI
Just to clarify for you

Stage 2 is a Carbon Kevlar
Stage 3 is a Segmented Kevlar
Cool thanks!
Old May 15, 2012, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
Thanks guys I appreciate the info, overall you guys like Comp clutches? I'm wondering what kind of life I can expect to get out of it and how smooth these will be daily driving in summer. Sounds like stage 3 carbon is the way to go?

EDIT Ok now that I've been out of work and actually have time to search, I'm finding tons of bad reviews and people saying these clutches are weak, the kevlar burns up really easily, they don't last too long, chattery as hell etc. True? I'm getting mixed emotions, you few guys say they're good, others in the past say never use them over 350wtq, never launch etc. Now that I don't see myself wanting their kevlar stage 3 in fear of one bad burn, will an HD street hold up with around 400whp/tq and anyone know what kind of abuse it can take?
The ones you're referring to are the older line of Competition Clutches, they have a new line out that's been getting good reviews. Here's what MAP has - http://www.maperformance.com/evo-vii...tition-clutch/

As you can see, they have a new stage 2 clutch that's supposed to hold quite a bit more power than the older variant, as well as a stage 3.5 that doesn't use kevlar. There's a few reviews in the vendor review section, check them out

FWIW, I have an older Competition Stage 3, the one with a segmented kevlar disc, and its been great to me. Granted, I don't launch and I'm currently at stock power levels, but the pedal feel is slightly softer than stock and is really easy to drive. It also takes the heat from autocrossing really well, whereas my stock clutch felt like crap after one auto-x and never felt the same again. If I had to buy another one, I would probably opt for the new Stage 2, as it seems easier to drive, going by some reviews.

EDIT: Here's a link to English Racing - http://www.shopenglishracing.com/Evo...lutch-Kit.html

Last edited by Jim3142; May 15, 2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old May 16, 2012, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I have the stage 2 Competition Clutch. English Racing did a great review on it so I decided to try it out. Pedal feel is great and its held up great soo far. I am only making 345tq though.
Old May 16, 2012, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for clearing up some of my confusion. That's the downfall of researching and looking at older reviews, companies are always updating and improving.

Reading English's review it definitely sounds like the HD street is a great clutch for the way it performs at a KILLER price. F buying an Exedy double

Last edited by PatricksEvilEvo; May 16, 2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
F buying an Exedy double
i have one and doubt i'll ever get anything else at this rate. it is truely amazing.

Other than price, i dont think anyone has mentioned a single downfall in here about the exedy. that's saying something as people are usually quick to badmouth products.

If i ever exceed the twin's ability, i'll probably try the Exedy triple.
Old May 16, 2012, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

If the Comp clutches are as good, why would I spend $1,600 or more to get an Exedy when the Comp clutches are around $500. Sounds foolish.
Old May 16, 2012, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...-alt-hdss.html

This is enough to make me want it. English is reputable. And again, $500
Old May 16, 2012, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm with you on the price, sounds amazing.

But are saying one material has issues with heat, another wears out fast, blah blah. I think that comp was the one that people said would wear out super fast, maybe another brand, and maybe the old version. i dunno.

If it's that price and lasts as long with no issies awesome. But if it wears out 3x's as fast and you don't do your own clutch installs, i bet labor on three rebuilds will easily cost more (and have downtime) than the exedy.
Old May 16, 2012, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

I am doing my own install that's why if I only get 2 seasons out of it I wouldn't be heart broken. Will be my first time but I'm the type that enjoys working on my car and my buddy has a lift so why not! Save a ton on labor and feel the pride knowing I did it myself, nothing beats the feeling of completing a job like this for your first time so I'm pumped to do it. Just trying to make sure this clutch is definitely the way to go.

Quick Reply: Competition stage 3 un-sprung vs Exedy double HD