Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HELP? Engine totaled at Barber/Brminghm

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP? Engine totaled at Barber/Brminghm

I bought my '03 evo VIII new. It now has almost 90k mi and 18 track weekends, and I'm still in love. But, in just my second session at Barber MSP a week ago, I lost power and coming into the pits I noticed it was hot for the first time ever. Temp needle was at about 90%, not maxed out. It sounded really bad... engine rattling. Parked it for a few hours, then crossed the fingers, hoping it would get me home (five hours away). It started right up, but sounded just as bad. By the time I'd gone a few hundred yards I knew it wouldn't even get to my hotel at the next exit. The higher I reved it (1500 - 2000), the worse it sounded, and almost no power. I had to leave it in Birmingham and try to arrange repair by phone. I had it towed to Carl's; probably not the best choice. After I get it there they tell me they don't rebuild engines. I have lotsa questions, but the overall is, what should I do? I don't think I'm pursuing the best option, since I don't know Birmingham. I'm thinking of having a shortblock shipped to Carl's and having them install it. Should be REALLY expensive. I've been delaying spring/shock upgrade for years, just cause I'm so cheap. Downside is cost, but upside may be to get a really stout package. I'm not looking for monster horsepower; the car is already faster than I am . I may timetrial someday, and I assume I'll get less competitive the higher the class I get into (I'm sixty yrs old). I'm even considering the oem option from the dsm graveyard. The shop hasn't even determined whether it is the block or head or both, but I'm assuming the block (see below). If I knew the right place, I'd have it towed there, and use their advice. But where?
Deep background: about two yrs ago my local mechanic replaced my timing belt and got the balance shaft one turn off. I could tell something was wrong right away, but I didn't know about the oil pump sprocket then, nor did he. I took it back, he said all the marks lined up... FIRST big mistake: I drove it from W. TN to Watkins Glen and put three track days on it, then drove home. A month later I got clued, took it back, asked him to turn the sprocket one turn, all was well. OR NOT. One year later the timing belt snapped and I had to put in all new valves. Now, another year later,... this. I assume this was all caused by the hard use with the vibration from the out-of-phase balance shaft. Your opinion? Any advice?
Thanks for any help, much appreciated!
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know its a hassle but tow it to a place that knows how to work with Evos. Sad thing is there's not a specialty Evo shop in Alabama really.

Forged Performance in Atlanta would be a good shop. http://www.forgedperformance.com/

There's also Mellon Racing which I believe is in Memphis, TN. http://www.mellonracing.com/

These two would probably be the closest to you.

Last edited by 4B11AWD; Jun 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Haven't been back to Alabama in a while but if he's still in business Eric Van Cleef runs a good shop and does good work too. He's not specifically an Evo shop though, so you'll probably have to order the parts you need online or discuss it with him to get it ordered. But he does good work.

310 Oldwood Rd, Huntsville, AL 35811-9042
Phone
1 (256) 851-1990
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You need AAA brotha! Its a must have for guys like us who drive their cars to and from the track.

As far as what to do... I would either buy a used long block or buy a built one from a performance shop. Either way, get the car to a shop you know or trust to do the work.

Good Luck!
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took my car to a friend's shop that works on other types of cars but had a lot of EVO business. bottom line I'm still paying for that trust. do it right the first time. it can cost more then 500-700 to have the car rowed to a shop that knows what they are doing but wont try to rape you. forged is expensive. Take it to Batlground if you are coming to Atlanta. if not take it to Mellon.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

Just get it shipped out of state. Will be cheeper in the long run
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You need the services of a good shop. There may be valve/head damage, so just ordering a short block and having someone install it might not be the total fix. Somebody needs to tear it down piece by piece and find the issue and go from there.

Where are you at in TN?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:19 AM
Account Disabled

Crappy situation... I would highly suggest an evo specific shop for the extensive repairs that are going to have to be done to the car... From the sound of it, seems like a rod bearing failure... with any beraing failure, you are going to have to break the motor completely down and have everything hot tanked and cleaned. Make sure to not resuse the oil coller or your brand new block will fail in no time as well... Good luck with what ever you choose to do!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by JDavenport
You need the services of a good shop. There may be valve/head damage, so just ordering a short block and having someone install it might not be the total fix. Somebody needs to tear it down piece by piece and find the issue and go from there.

Where are you at in TN?
Hey Jim, thanks for the reply. I'm in NW corner of TN at UT Martin in Martin, TN. I'm sure we'll meet someday as I am also a NASA SE/Mid-South instructor.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Get a Uhaul truck and trailer and tow it back. Build it by a reputable shop and done correctly. I just trailered my Evo all the way across the country and not a scratch on it.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Mellon in memphis would be your best option. Chris does GREAT work.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Very similar thing happened to me except mine wouldnt restart at all due to no compression. I believe your block should be ok. Your head might be destroyed like mine was though. Defintaley spend the money to tow it to a shop that knows evos, it will be worth it in the long run.