Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

metal on metal ringing/rattling drivers side Please help!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
metal on metal ringing/rattling drivers side Please help!

Hi guys-

I just picked up an Evo IX this weekend. It already had a lot of stuff done to it, and I had it checked out at Evo Dynamics.

It has a gt35r with full bolt ons, a tune, injectors and supporting mods.

My question is, I have this metallicy ringing/pinging noise that sounds like it is whirring coming from the drivers side wheel well. Sorry for lack of better words in explaining it.

I cant tell if it is the clutch as it is metally sounding and normally my clutches sound a little more organic and just make a whirring noise.

It makes the pinging sound when I let off the clutch to get the car going, but it is pretty slight, then when I am going it is just a circular metal on metal noise similar to what a wheel bearing would sound like.

It has the ACT HD clutch.

Any suggestions or help would be awesome.

UPDATE*****
This is the sound it is making but only when I rev it. You can only hear it if you are right by the drivers side wheel. This is a high res mic put right over the tire about 5 inches from the fender, so it may be slightly louder here than in person.

http://kiwi6.com/file/qfxyh45lu5

Last edited by Corbin09; Aug 9, 2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 07:19 AM

First place I would check would be the front driver`s side brakes, dust/heatshields and brake lines. 90% of the time, in my case, as I see gravel roads pretty often, it`s the dustsheild contacting with rocks, brake lines, rotor, etc.

Some brake pads are also manufactured with loose tolerances and can be binding against the rotor. You can remove them, take a look for wear in normally non-contact areas (upper and lower corners) and dremel or grind those corners down until they no longer make contact with the rotor.

Next bet would be to check out your abs sensor and wire and axle seals, see if they`re damaged or contacting other parts. Axles don`t normally make a true metallic "ping" sound, but something jammed into the boot will.

Good luck!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 07:25 AM

Could also be a bad wheel bearing..
Old Aug 6, 2012, 07:26 AM

I've had a wheel bearing show similar signs with the occasional thump :-\
Old Aug 6, 2012, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

I had a similar issue on my X, ended up being contact between the edge of the rotor and the clip on the pad backing. My rotors had developed a lip/edge that I didn't knock down when I first put my new pads in. Probably a long shot but worth looking at.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 08:14 AM

You guys are awesome! I will check all of that out tonight when I get home from work but that gives me a place to start. I was starting to think wheel bearing too. I just found it strange the it made a chattering type noise when I took off. Thanks again to everyone. I will update tonight!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had similar sound with my car, turns out the valve stem nut came loose and fell off inside the wheel. sound would go away after i speed up
Old Aug 6, 2012, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like the dust shield for the brake rotor is bent out of place
Old Aug 6, 2012, 06:39 PM

Good luck!!

Old Aug 6, 2012, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
having the same issue- suspect the wheel bearing but i am not sure yet. keep us updated!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 08:25 PM

I just updated the top with the audio file! Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Hopefully its not too bad as I just bought the car.

Last edited by Corbin09; Aug 8, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 06:37 AM

Bump please let me know if you have any suggestions!
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:39 AM

Would the clutch or Input shaft make a noise like this since it is coming from the side that the trans is on?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:18 AM
Evolved Member

You said there's a noise when youre revving it when not moving riight? Then theres no way thats a wheel bearing and eliminates alot of stuff it it only happens when you rev it. I think I had the same issue too and I figured it out to be inside my trans. Whenever I went to put money in the ATM or any kind of drive thru it would amplify the noise alot so that helped and one day I took out the trans fill plug while it was running and I saw one of the shafts/gears turning and it seemed to go along with the same humming/grinding noise as the speed I saw it turning. It deff seems to be coming from the trans though. Did you check the engine and trans fluids??
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:36 AM

I checked the engine fluid. I will be replacing the trans fluid this weekend. I also noticed today that I had a little black spot on my radiator where my wastegate is so I am assuming my WG is leaking. AHHH the joys of buying a modified Evo.

Quick Reply: metal on metal ringing/rattling drivers side Please help!