Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car won't start once warm up

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just don't understand how it can start fine at a cool temp and not start at all at operating temp.

Is there something in the Hks vpro that can do this? If not the vpro, then I don't understand how a sensor will work fine and then not work.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you tried a different coil pack?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Have you tried a different coil pack?
I reedited my previous post. I checked spark during the time the car is dead and there's spark from all 4 coils.

I installed a new cam position sensor and same issue still.

I'm checking for fuel right now

Last edited by pennies_hatchie; Sep 22, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

I checked fuel and none of the injectors are firing. Thoughts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm.
Somehow the temp is stopping the injectors from firing. What kind of injectors are they?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
hmmm.
Somehow the temp is stopping the injectors from firing. What kind of injectors are they?
FIC 900cc High Independence injectors that were installed by IveyTune and tuned on HKS Vpro. I checked and the resistor box was bypass correctly.

Here's the fuel setup:
E85
FIC 900cc HI injectors
Resistor box bypassed
Perrin fuel rail
Stock FPR
Double Walbro fuel pumps
HKS Vpro

I've also noticed that since I've installed the new temp sensor that my car while in neutral will idle at 2k which it's never done before until today when it was installed.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

I'm leaning on it being a tune issue. Im about 1000 ft above sea level vs NJ where it's at sea level.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Replacing sensors on a whim is a nice way to waste money lol. It would probably take you 1/10th of the time, all at no cost just to test them with a multimeter instead of replacing them. You have no idea if the one you are replacing it with works as it should.

I work at an auto parts store (not a retail chain... one that actually sells quality brand name parts), and you would be surprised at how often new stuff comes back defective.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ChUt26
Replacing sensors on a whim is a nice way to waste money lol. It would probably take you 1/10th of the time, all at no cost just to test them with a multimeter instead of replacing them. You have no idea if the one you are replacing it with works as it should.

I work at an auto parts store (not a retail chain... one that actually sells quality brand name parts), and you would be surprised at how often new stuff comes back defective.
I've tried testing the sensors to no avail. i have a multimeter and got nothing from both when i tested them. bought both sensors from the stealership as well and same result.

Any other suggestions? Planning on taking her in for a retune to see if the map needs to be rescaled. But it possible could be other things so keep the suggestions coming
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:29 AM

im not used to evos but crack a fuel line going to the rail or injectors and turn the car over see if its even getting fuel to the injectors. Injectors need a certian pressure to open and if your not getting the pressure they wont open to fire. maybe the heat if affecting a relay or fuel pressure solenoid? then when it cools down it works as normal again.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pennies_hatchie
But it possible could be other things so keep the suggestions coming
Go back to stock ECU and bring it to a good tuner.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Smeghead
im not used to evos but crack a fuel line going to the rail or injectors and turn the car over see if its even getting fuel to the injectors. Injectors need a certian pressure to open and if your not getting the pressure they wont open to fire. maybe the heat if affecting a relay or fuel pressure solenoid? then when it cools down it works as normal again.
That's what I did to test the injectors. Took them out of the IM when the car was warmed up and nothing from the injectors when starting. One of the injectors did come off from the rail during the test and gas sprayed everyone so yes, it has pressure.

I plan on removing the Vpro and going back to stock.

Last edited by pennies_hatchie; Sep 24, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:50 AM

That's what I did to test the injectors. Took them out of the IM when the car was warmed up and nothing from the injectors when starting. One of the injectors did come off from the rail during the test and gas sprayed everyone so yes, it has pressure.

I plan on removing the Vpro and going back to stock.
Maybe the fuel pump is over heating and not supplying the correct pressure. Either that or maybe your wires going the the ecu to control injectors are getting hot. And not sending the signal to open the injectors

Last edited by Smeghead; Sep 24, 2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Smeghead
Maybe the fuel pump is over heating and not supplying the correct pressure. Either that or maybe your wires going the the ecu to control injectors are getting hot. And not sending the signal to open the injectors
How can I check this.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:23 AM

How can I check this.
to be honest i dont think u can lol im just trying to help with ideas by serching around and seeing what i come up with. but i dont think its your tune bc regardless if the car is hot or cold if it was the tune then it should have problems. but since its only when its hot it makes me think its a relay or sensor overheating then cooling off

Last edited by Smeghead; Sep 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Car won't start once warm up