Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hard to get into gear when stationary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to get into gear when stationary

I'm having some issues with the car being hard to get into gear (more so than normal) when the car is stationary recently.

Some consistencies I've found in the problem are:

If I'm slowing down to a stop and press the clutch in and hold it in without ever letting it back out, the car will be able to shift into any gear fine.

If I'm slowing down to a stop and press the clutch in, shift to neutral, then let it out. It's hard to get the car to go back into any of the gears after this a lot of times. A sort of metal whirring noise (which I'm assuming to be a worn throw out bearing) will start when I let the clutch out too. This does not go away when the clutch is pressed back in, until I start to push it into one of the gears. The whirring noise also doesn't occur in the first scenario where I never let the clutch out when stopped.

There are times where I can put the car into third, then first to get back into gear with some effort and there are times where I just can't get it to go into any gear. During the times where it won't go into any gear, when I push it towards first, the whole car moves forward if I'm on a flat surface, same for reverse except it goes backwards.

The car shifts perfectly at high rpms, but is fairly notchy at lower rpms with normal driving.

Stuff I've tried:

I've already adjusted the clutch pedal up fairly high. This helped a little. I've checked the slave cylinder including pulling the rubber back and it doesn't appear to be leaking. The car doesn't move forward with the clutch pushed in in first gear and bouncing off the two step like it probably would if the clutch were dragging.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
What clutch are you using? When was the last time you changed the fluid?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:17 AM

Stock clutch at 63k miles. And the brake/clutch fluid was changed 10-15k ago I think.

To expand on the notchiness while driving normally, second gear is the worst by far. When shifting I will hold it towards second and it will hit some sort of barrier and not shift for a second, then slide in without any sort of grinding. I can get around this barrier by pushing the shifter back towards first slightly, then back towards second again.

Last edited by RawrImAMonster; Nov 27, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

I had the same problem with my stock clutch at 70k miles. I took my clutch apart and the disc was completely glazed and the material was chewed up quite a bit. Its just time to get a new clutch.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:54 AM

It doesn't slip at all though. Even in 5th gear under heavy throttle.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Mine didnt either because I kept adjusting the clutch pedal but that was my case. Im not saying thats your case but its possible. How much power does your car have? Mods?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:10 PM

Just over 300whp on CBRD's mustang dyno.

What problems were you having specifically when yours needed to be replaced?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:58 PM

Another update: Today driving home from work the car didn't do this. It never got locked completely out of gear and the metal whirring noise would stop when I pushed the clutch in. So whatever this is, it isn't consistent at all.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:29 PM

well at 60k plus you should consider upgrading the clutch and tranny fluid flush.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 'whirring' noise you are referring to may be the throwout bearing..(hard to say without hearing it)...my ACT is loud when the clutch is out and tranny in neutral.

Could be your clutch like MuslimEvoFreak suggested. Would be a good time to change the transmission and transfer case fluids too....
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:42 PM

The transmission and transfer case both had the fluids changed at 60k (3k miles ago) like you're supposed to. All the maintenance has been kept up to date.

Last edited by RawrImAMonster; Nov 27, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RawrImAMonster Do you have any noise under decceleration in gear at 40mph+ speeds and revs higher than 3,5K?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Biggy VIII
RawrImAMonster Do you have any noise under decceleration in gear at 40mph+ speeds and revs higher than 3,5K?
I just went out and drove it. No, I don't hear anything out of the ordinary.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:11 PM

Anyone else have any input on this? It has become fairly rare that I'm getting locked out of all the gears now, but it's still fairly difficult to shift into gears when stationary. Shifting to 3rd then 1st tends to help get everything lined up better, but is this normal? Maybe I'm just incorrectly remembering it being easier to shift when I first got the car.

Edit: After messing with it some more, I discovered something else. When it is hard to shift into gear, I can halfway push the shifter into a gear then partly pull it back out, then push it back in again and it will make it grind slightly on the way back in. After it grinds, ALL of the gears shift perfectly. I can shift into any gear with one finger and absolutely no effort at all. Any clue as to what this would be?

Last edited by RawrImAMonster; Nov 29, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggy VIII

what would it mean if there was some sort of noise?

Quick Reply: Hard to get into gear when stationary