Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Advise on how to start motor for the first time

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advise on how to start motor for the first time

Got my motor in my car and was wondering what everyone does for a new motor first start up.

I got oil in it and turned the crank with a breaker bar a few time and disabled the clutch switch so I don't put pressure on the crank during first start also. What else is there to do so those doesn't go wrong. Thanks for any info guys and sorry if its been posted but I couldn't find anything
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you using synthetic or dinosaur oil? When I broke in my LS1, I used non-synthetic to break in the rings. I ran it gently for the first few hundred miles and tried to keep from staying at one RPM range. (in other words, use a wide variety of RPM ranges) Drive around at different speeds at different RPMs. There are different schools of thought on break-in procedures, but this was the old-school way.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well it's not the break in I'm worried about, it's just the initial start up. Like the very first crank over, should I bypass everything and just go by the starter so no gas is used or either clutch
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, I see. The most important thing to do is to prime the oil pump. Not sure how this is done on the Evo. Bu that is really all you need to worry about is that the engine is getting oil. On the LS1, I had an oil pump port where you could hand-pump oil to prime the pump. Good luck!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Disconnect the crank position sensor, located right behind the oil fill cap/valve cover area. Turn car over 2-3 times for around 10 seconds, engine should be primed. I did this for my cam install and primed the car just fine.