Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 6 transfer box ratio vs Evo 6 transfer box ratio 8

Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 6 transfer box ratio vs Evo 6 transfer box ratio 8

I had an evo 6.5 tme which was used as a Rally car before I purchased it. When I bought the car the gears felt extremely close as if it wanted another gear which was good on our corner to corner roads in Jamaica. I sold the evo 6.5 as a rolling chassis and purchased an evo 7 which is presently my daily driver . I notice a drastic difference in the RPM range when cruising, the evo 6 rpm would be much highter than the evo 7 at the same mph which I expected since the evo 6 was a RS while the evo 7 was a GSR. I installed the rs rear end from the evo 6 in the EVO 7 and drove for some weeks then decided to install the gearbox from the evo 6 also. I open both gearboxes and they both had in the same 77/17 crown and pinion. I was confused so I started to count the teeth on the all gears (1-5) and they were all the same.
My question is, do you thing that the transfer box was what contributed to the change in RPM at the same mph between both cars?

Please help in any way possible
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

help please
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:21 AM

The final drive gear ratio is different in the transfer case and rear differential if I recall. I know for a fact that the Evo4-6 tcase is totally different for ring and pinion when compared to an evo 7-9. I would have to check ratios for the rear diff.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

I understand that concept but I doudt that my problems is with the rear diff. As I said before the rear diff in my evo 7 was removed from my evo 6. My evo 6 had limited top speed while the evo 7 with the same rear diff felt as if it could reach 160 mph in 4th. Both car have the same ratio gearbox therefore I think it is safe to assume that the difference in speed vs rpm is due to the transfer cases but again I am new to evo drive-train.

Originally Posted by twicks69
The final drive gear ratio is different in the transfer case and rear differential if I recall. I know for a fact that the Evo4-6 tcase is totally different for ring and pinion when compared to an evo 7-9. I would have to check ratios for the rear diff.