Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Did I break my rear diff?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2004, 08:00 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I break my rear diff?

Went shopping with the wife on Saturday (this is only relevant because I never beat on the car or race it with the wife & child present) and on the way home I pulled away from a stop sign and heard a clunk then a rattle in the rear end. It wasn't a clutch drop pull away, it was a nice gentle one. Next stop sign, same noise. Next light I turn right and the back end feels like it's dragging a little. It sounds like something's rattling in the trunk, but there's nothing in there so I can only assume I broke the rear diff?
Old Feb 16, 2004, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if its lugish from a stop its mostlikely the rear... do not drive the car if it persist, you will damage the center diff as well because the rear and from tires are turning in unison... the rear is holding the front back slightly... Have the car looked at by mitsu. I don't see how the rear diff broke, theres many other things first in line to go..... Out of curiousity, check your rear axles and boots for damage, or play...
Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:40 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

I was under the car last night and didn't notice anything untoward. To be honest though, I probably wouldn't know if something was screwed up anyway, I just looked at both sides and they were the same . However, it does feel like the driver's rear is more solid than the other 3 corners when driving (I actually thought I had a flat after going round 1 corner) but that might just be me. It's booked in with the local stealership tomorrow morning so we'll see what's up and see how many different ways they can try to void my warranty.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by UFO
It's booked in with the local stealership tomorrow morning so we'll see what's up and see how many different ways they can try to void my warranty.

May I ask which one?
Old Feb 17, 2004, 02:55 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally posted by whiterexman

May I ask which one?
Yeah, but I won't tell you!

J/K I'm taking her to Champion Mitsubishi because they're the only dealership in a 1,000 mile radius from my house (well, maybe not that far).
Old Feb 17, 2004, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you still have the stock fluid in the rear or something aftermarket?
It sounds like the clutches are hung up and engaged, when you turn it's dragging the wheel that should be free.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 04:16 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally posted by timzcat
Do you still have the stock fluid in the rear or something aftermarket?
It sounds like the clutches are hung up and engaged, when you turn it's dragging the wheel that should be free.
Stock fluid. Never did get round to changing it out, which is probably a good thing now.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Im getting a 5th gear grind. It only happens when i try to shift normal at above 5K. If i just let it put itself into gear there is no grind at all. All the other gears seem to be fine. What do you think i should do? If i have to take it to the dealership do you guys think i should take off the downpipe and exhaust or you think they wont say anything? Oh ya i changed the fluid in the tranny thinking maybe it was low or something but still no difference. PLEASE HELP!
Old Feb 17, 2004, 04:41 PM

wow... that was a nice hi-jacking...
Old Feb 17, 2004, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry didnt mean too. Just avoid the question i guess!