Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

vgt turbo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vgt turbo

Hey all, I just bought my first evo last week and spun a rod bearring five days later! So now the motor is out awaiting parts and a 2.3 stroker build.

I HATE the new member 15 post limit before access to the classified section, it seems like it encourages stupid posting, and I can't stand it when people can't search for things. So in the interest of getting my 15 posts while actually contributing to the site, I have an idea that I would like to try.

I used to be into Cummins diesels, my dodge had an he351ve holset turbocharger which is a 59.5 mm compressor variable geometry water cooled turbo with a 3cm³-25cm³ exhaust housing. This is much smaller than the stock turbo and opens waaay bigger than most race turbos. I would controll it with a waste gate actuator and manual boost controller on the variable lever. Any reasons why this wouldn't work? What do ya'all think!?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It has been done before on a dsm and netted awesome results minus the fact of how bulky it is and how unreliable they tend to be.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by anwkid
....I used to be into Cummins diesels, my dodge had an he351ve holset turbocharger which is a 59.5 mm compressor variable geometry water cooled turbo with a 3cm³-25cm³ exhaust housing. This is much smaller than the stock turbo and opens waaay bigger than most race turbos. I would controll it with a waste gate actuator and manual boost controller on the variable lever. Any reasons why this wouldn't work? What do ya'all think!?
Did this turbo have a standard HX-35 cold side. If so , compressor flow would seem to be a limitation powerwise. Could you swap an HX-40 compressor onto one of these? I remember back in the old days there were some reconfigured HX-40/35 aftermarket turbos that utilized HX-40 compressor mated to an HX-35 hotside.

I ran a PDR HX-40 for a while and tried all the different turbine housings...even a ported 18cm job. Ultimately though even the 40 didn't flow enough over 42 PSI to suit my taste. Ultimately, I went to an HX-50/40 custom and ran about 50 PSI.

A single turbo, even one with variable turbine technology, was not the way to go on the 5.9L B-Series Cummins though. They cry for a compound, bi-turbo setup.....a "Little Brother-Big Brother" setup is ideal, IMO. The single HX-50 hybrid flowed OK but didn't spool so great.

In an attempt to get it spooling sooner, I was injecting methanol starting early at 10-12 PSI.

Last edited by sparky; Apr 9, 2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:39 AM

I was into diesels pretty heavily. My 2wd short bed crew cab dodge ran mid 12's on street tires with an he551ve which is a MASSIVE turbo. It was at 65psi single turbo at one point. The 351 I have seen 55+ psi out of on trucks, so I know it has it in it. It is an hx40 cold side, not an hx35. Plus they sell race covers and upgraded compressor wheels! Did that DSM say much about spool up?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

I was told that gas egt kills the VGT turbos.

BW makes special ones for Porsche.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 05:46 PM

I figure that the life expectancy will be shortened, but its still a water cooled turbo, and holsets are know for super reliabillity. I have an hx40 on a cummins right now that has over 250k mi and sees 55+ psi and 2100+egts. They are built stout to say the least. I just want a super quick spooling setup with some good hp potential on top. I do alot of weekend track days and am shooting for 650-700hp with 91 and water/meth. My second choice is compound turbos..
Old Apr 11, 2013, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
....my dodge had an he351ve holset turbocharger which is a 59.5 mm compressor variable geometry..... I would controll it with a waste gate actuator and manual boost controller on the variable lever. Any reasons why this wouldn't work? What do ya'all think!?[/QUOTE]

Any chance that you could go into a bit more detail on how you plumbed the WGA and MBC into the loop to control the variable geometry turbo. Or, even a bit more description of how it worked. I could probably figure how the MBC plays into it...but I am trying to imagine how the two devices worked in conjunction with the OEM variable controller...if there is one on that 351ve turbo. Did you intercept the factory signal with the MBC??

Reason I ask is because my Toyota Hilux, TDI 3.0 pickup truck has what looks like a little stepper motor on the side of the turbine housing to control the factory VVT setup. If this question is too OT maybe you can PM me.

Last edited by sparky; Apr 11, 2013 at 08:05 AM.