Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

evo VII compressor wheel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2001, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question evo VII compressor wheel

I was just wondering, in the evoVII turbocharger there are two different wheels. one is titanium(rs model), the other is inconel (gs-r). what is the difference in performance? why do they use differenrt types of metal? if anyone could help,i would appreciate it. i was just reading the story Super Street mag did on the evo VII.
Old Oct 11, 2001, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Im not sure but i think the difference might be in weight.... not sure though
Old Oct 12, 2001, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Ti turrbo has less mass and so inertia. It will spool up faster and be more responsive. Given the choice go for the Ti turbo option. I hear it makes a big difference.

Erik
Old Oct 14, 2001, 01:39 PM

The Ti turrbo has less mass and so inertia. It will spool up faster and be more responsive. Given the choice go for the Ti turbo option. I hear it makes a big difference.
So the RS has a better turbo than the GSR? I thought GSR would be top of the line, since it has YAW, and the 3 differentials of the snow, gravel, and terrain. The RS doesn't have YAW, not sure about the 3 differentials. But I do know that RS2 has YAW control, RS2 was made for Racing. It's much more lighter than the GSR. The RS2 and the GSR come with Branbo brake pads and break disc, the RS does not. But what I don't get is, they put Ti turbo on RS and not on the GSR.

okay. im getting confused myself now. I tried to research what was inconel was.. and found diddly squat.. so o well.
Old Oct 16, 2001, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Ti turbo is an option on the GSR. The RS is the basis for a rally cars. They also used to come with steel wheels. For rally most of the running gerar get replaced.

Erik
Old Oct 31, 2001, 05:51 PM

evo VII compressor wheel

The compressor wheels on all the evo's are alloy.
The titanium wheel that is spoken about is the turbine wheel and shaft
which is fitted to Rs's and Rs2, this wheel and shaft assy is lighter and will spool up quicker.Inconnel turbine wheel and shaft heavier, cheaper.
Most turbo's only have inconnel wheels, which are not as robust and sometimes will drop off the hot end. Steve.
Old Nov 1, 2001, 06:25 AM

Hi Steve, I see you found this forum alright!
For those who don't know, Steve Knight races a Lancer Evo 6 gsr in GTProduction racing in Australia. He is also a Development Technican at Mitsubishi Australia and knows what he is talking about.
Hope you don't mind me passing out that info Steve!

jjvr4
Old Nov 5, 2001, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by jjvr4
Hi Steve, I see you found this forum alright!
For those who don't know, Steve Knight races a Lancer Evo 6 gsr in GTProduction racing in Australia. He is also a Development Technican at Mitsubishi Australia and knows what he is talking about.
Hope you don't mind me passing out that info Steve!

jjvr4
*** kisser
Old Nov 6, 2001, 05:15 AM

Cool

I'm glad you added a smile to that remark , phatmonkey. I put that message in for the benefit of you blokes. Some people who answer questions on these forums don't really know what they are talking about.It's handy having someone on it who has 25 years experience in technical development with Mitsubishi, and also owns and races a Lancer Evo 6. I'll take it as a friendly gesture!
Old Nov 14, 2001, 09:01 AM

Lanevo:-

Inconel is
78% Nickel, 15 Chromium 7% Iron - melts about 1400'C (2500F) compared to 1600'C(3000F) for titanium.

Having driven both types the difference in the 2 turbo performance's is pretty slight.

BTW YAW or AYC allows a bad driver like me to make quick progress through the twisties. Purist's do not like it as you can't get the car properly sideways.
Old Nov 15, 2001, 08:35 AM

you can get the car sideways with AYC but it comes more suddenly than a mechanical diff

and the AYC needs new oil every 4500 miles

andre
Old Nov 15, 2001, 08:58 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Does the AYC require new oil regardless of how the car is driven? Also, is special fluid required and is it a pain to change?

Thanks,

Mark
Old Nov 15, 2001, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Don't know whether usage actually influences the frequency, it's more of a precaution to change it every 4500 miles. Mine hasn't been changed for 11000 miles, which is why I should do it soon. And yes, it's supposedly a $$$$$ to change cause the bleeding of the system requires an MUTII (Mitsubishi service tool)with the right software or some trickery with the AYC sensors. There's also a school of thought which thinks that the bleeding isn't that important.
Old Nov 15, 2001, 11:00 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Is a MUTII expensive to purchase? Are there any aftermarket LSDs available that don't require a lot of maintenance, but still perform well? A clutch type would prebably be a pain as well since the discs would need to be changed.

Mark
Old Nov 15, 2001, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

KK

Don't know if you can get a MUTII if you're not Mitsi dealer.

Concerning diffs. Just got a mail from Co-Ordsport explaining different available diffs either for use in GroupN or in Group A.
KAZZ and CUSCO are well regarded for diffs. But you also can get several ones from Ralliart directly.

Cheers

Mike

Quick Reply: evo VII compressor wheel