Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO 6 Noobie Questions...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2013, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking EVO 6 Noobie Questions...

Hi there,

My name is Steve. Brand new member!
My business partner and myself have just bought 2 standard evo 6's. We picked them up about two weeks ago. I have a few questions. I've spent the last two hours searching for some direct answers... but I still still haven't got 100% answers, so sorry if this stuff has been mentioned a bizillian times before.

If people want I can post some photos up?

We want to keep stock turbos and internals for now.
Current mods...
Turbo back 3" exhaust (mandrel) with external dump pipe
HKS front mount intercoolers
Tien coil-overs all round
Fuel pump upgrade Walbro 250lph
Blitz blow off valve

That's all we've done so far...
Here are my questions...

How much boost can we safely run?
My research tells me about 24psi?

What's the best way to control boost on the cars keeping the car's stock ecu?
I've been led to believe using the stock boost controller is possible, but quite complex. From what I've read you are much better off using an aftermarket standalone boost controller. If this is true;
What brand do people recommend?
Do the brass restrictors in the vacuum lines need to be modified/removed?
Can someone recommend a good guide for installing these boost controllers?

And finally, not sure if there are many aussies on this forum, but can anyone recommend someone to tune these cars in the Melbourne area once all the boost control modifications have been installed?
We have our eyes on a mob called RevZone in Ringwood. I've heard good things so far.

We are really looking forward to upgrading these great cars, and thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply to this thread with useful information!

Steve
Old Jun 16, 2013, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by down_under
...My business partner and myself have just bought 2 standard evo 6's....We want to keep stock turbos and internals.....

...How much boost can we safely run?....My research tells me about 24psi?...What's the best way to control boost on the cars keeping the car's stock ecu?

I've been led to believe using the stock boost controller is possible, but quite complex. From what I've read you are much better off using an aftermarket standalone boost controller..Do the brass restrictors in the vacuum lines need to be modified/removed?Can someone recommend a good guide for installing these boost controllers?

.... can anyone recommend someone to tune these cars in the Melbourne area once all the boost control modifications have been installed?....We have our eyes on a mob called RevZone in Ringwood. I've heard good things so far.

Steve
Call yoir local tuner, the lads at RevZone and ask them if they can tune via the stock ECU/3-PORT BCS. This is your easiest route. They also should know the highest peak boost level that can be run with your current mods given the pump octane of the local petrol. You can have an E-tune done over the internet, by Mellon Racing, et al.

Personally, I prefer the simplicity of an MBC to control boost. But, that is just me.

The Evo VI turbo is configured with the 9.8cm turbine housing isn't it? Depending on other factors such as ambient air temperatures, rel. Humidity, etc. and your timing map, you should be able to run 22-23# safely on 98 R.O.N. petrol.

Last edited by sparky; Jun 16, 2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You won't be able to run it @ 24psi the because the boost limit/cut is set around 22psi in the stock rom. Off course, any tuner should be able to increase/remove that limit easily.
I don't recommend running 24psi without a proper tune. Tuning will make it safer & give you more power out of the 24psi rather than just simply increasing boost through boost control.

Boost can be adjusted by the tuner through the ECU or you can install a fancy EBC with extra functions such as gain & warnings or you can keep it simple & get an MBC, efficient & cheap.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoke to the tuners today... He's confident we can get a reasonable tune with the stock boost controllers which is good because we get to save some $$$. He's recommended a 1.5bar actuator for the waste gate.