Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Just got a ticket for exhaust too loud!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Just got a ticket for exhaust too loud!

Please help! Does anyone get a ticket for the exhaust is too loud? I live in Virginia, just got a reckless ticket last night for driving 81 over 55 on highway. Also, the cop gave me another ticket for an illegal exhaust because it's too loud. He told me to take it off. I have Perrin cat back, Perrin downpipe and UR high flow cat. Does anyone know if this exhaust is 50 states legal? Do I just have to pay the ticket and take it off or pay the ticket and leave it on?
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

leave it....screw em...hehe you have a cat and a muffler, nuff said.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

This is stupid yo! Give me a ticket for the exhaust is too loud. The exhaust on the Mustang is much louder and the Harleys too.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Modifying exhaust is illegal, I was told by a cop before but never got a ticket from him for it. I believe a cop won't give you a ticket for it unless you are doing another crime (speeding, reckless driving). I have driven by many cops who haven't done anything. Just don't get caught doing something else, and they won;t bother oyu about it.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:31 AM

Like I always say, if you modify the exhaust and its obvious, even if it isnt over the dec level, if a cop feels like, they will give you the ticket.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:33 AM

Last edited by BlewEvo; Jun 9, 2004 at 09:03 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

i got busted doing 81 in a 55
got let off with tailgating though.

Anyway about the exhasut, im sure if you goto a muffler shop and ask em to right a receipt for fixing a hole in your muffler you could get off. thats how i got off an exhaust ticket
Old Feb 23, 2004, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by BlewEvo
You were driving 81 over 55
that is 136mph...he didn't want to arrest you?

of course you probably meant you were going 81 in a 55 zone didn't you? Just for your info anything over 80 in VA is wreckless even if it is on the toll road where it is 65mph limit.

If you were in Fairfax I'd get a lawyer...they DO NOT like wreckless drivers in those courts. Jail time is a real risk.
Beleive me I know. I have been to several courts all over VA.
Lost my license for a year but that was 2 years ago.
Ooppss...my bad it was 81 in a 55. Don't scare me man, I never had a speeding ticket since 1994 when I got my driver license. Clean record, this is the first time speeding ticket.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 12:10 PM

Well since this turned into a speed record contest ill add a entry, i got pinched doing 100+ in a 65, and yes, got let go.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 12:12 PM

Last edited by BlewEvo; Jun 9, 2004 at 09:02 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

i got pulled over doing 115mph in traffic in Los angeles, in my ITR. I did not have my insurance papers, or my registration in my car!!..

i have never seen a cop so damn mad. I thought i was going to jail for sure,.. but when i explained i was late for an interview, he decided to write me down for 80mph... and let me off to my interview!!!

i was damn lucky i guess.

BUDLoNG
Old Feb 23, 2004, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

I was followed by two cops leaving my freinds neighborhood. I pulled in a gas station with a another Evo owner and they started running my plates while my buddy was getting gas. I immediately walked over and asked what was the reason behind it and he told me they got a complaint from someone saying there were loud cars in the neighborhood.

Funny thing....both my car and the other Evo were just sitting there idleing for about 20 minutes or so while I was talking with me buddy. I have the HKS Carbon-Ti and my buddy has the HKS Hiper. Neither are loud at all, just someone was being a *******.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

If all these modified exhaust are illegal, how come you have a choice of different mufflers at say Meineke where they offer non OEM parts? that's modified just as much as us purchasing a catback from a vendor and doing it ourselves. I always thought it was the sound level that made it illegal versus what kind it is or what it looks like.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 12:48 PM

Where was your Radar detector?
Old Feb 23, 2004, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally posted by pumpdog720
Modifying exhaust is illegal, I was told by a cop before but never got a ticket from him for it.
Depends on what you define as modified.
Here in NY, according to the DMV rulebook, you may not modify your exhaust to circumvent the
operation of the muffler or the cat, like a cat delete pipe, or drilling through the cat, for instance.

If you have both a working cat and a muffler, then the arresting officer can cite you for too loud, but must produce
the documentation to prove his claim. Again in NY, I believe the statute is 94dB or less as measured
50 feet from the rear of the vehicle and you are legal.
However, it has been a while since I checked so things may be changed now; it may have dropped to 90dB.
And of course, the laws may be different in your state.

Of course, as was mentioned, once they pull you over for a legit infraction, they will sometimes
stuff you full of additional paper.

And yes, as we all know, most every Harley will fail this test, but go figure...

Mike's dad

Quick Reply: Just got a ticket for exhaust too loud!