Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo down!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2013, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo down!

Well, hello my fellow Evo owners! I don't post very much on the forums but I could use your helpful tips by reviving my Evo 9 MR back to its normal, functional state. Last Tuesday on July 30, 2013, I’ve had a local performance shop slap my Evo onto their mustang dyno for ****s and giggles. During the dyno run session, one of the straps snapped off due to my O2 dump causing my Evo to fishtail and hop backwards where the 2 front wheels came to a complete halt while the other 2 rear wheels were continuously moving on the rollers. The very next day, it started to make some funky ticking/whining noise that I’ve never heard before in my entire life and progressively got worse as each day went by. On top of that, I’ve noticed occasionally that I need to rev up about 1,500-2000 rpm to get it to move while it’s at a dead stop. Differential issue? But, the clutch doesn’t seem to slip either in heavy acceleration. Lastly, it seems to me the Evo is a bit sluggish/lazy throughout the whole powerband. It felt like I would need to downshift into a lower gear to get it going (ie: a torqueless Honda). So, I’ve made an appointment for a diagnostic inspection at Brandon Mitsubishi. The master technician claimed my transfer case, clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel are all toasted. However, my brand new Exedy triple disc clutch has less than 2,000 miles on it. Doesn’t make any sense. What else should I check for? Overall, the axels, rear diff., and driveshaft are fine…well, I hope! Thank you for your time.

-Sang

Last edited by SiriusMR; Aug 5, 2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 05:31 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
is the local shop paying for it? it's their responsibility to strap it not you! what is the name of the shop?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok so I'm no expert, BUT, i assume you went to a shop that doesn't have too much experience with Evo's. They didn't strap down the car properly (and no it has nothing to do with 02 dump). As a result I think its pretty safe to say you didn't do yourself any favours by driving it after the damage but THEY (the dyno shop) caused this damage.

Get ready for a long protracted battle with them once they find out that they will be on the hook for about 10k easy with labor.

Thats crazy. You are joking right? There is no way you didn't think the shop you had the work done at wasn't at fault. I'm almost more upset that you didn't think about that.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

If its whining its your tcase you better be careful the dif can start locking up if u keep driving it. Surprised u still can drive it and your driveshaft didnt pop
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ticking and whining (more-so whining) is the output shaft. Its prob also your ring and pinion. Those are first parts going from the rear to the front. Imo, the ticking sound is metal parts being flung around inside the transfer case, most likely the ring and pinion. If your lucky, the trans might be ok. Unless the stealership seen it apart, you cant know for sure if the clutch and flywheel are bad. After this fiasco, it would be wise to get them both resurfaced. regardless.

Its the shops responsibility to strap the car down well. If the engine blows, yes its not their problem. But this is matter of safety and they should be taking full responsibility for the damage to your Evo. Sucks big time...
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:03 AM

Sblvro: Don't want to throw out the company's name, but I did speak to one of the staffs that's more than happy to repair my transfer case free of charge. Hope he can provide me a rental car as well since it's my only daily transportation.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 01:44 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
if they're doing the right thing, that's good then.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SiriusMR
Sblvro: Don't want to throw out the company's name, but I did speak to one of the staffs that's more than happy to repair my transfer case free of charge. Hope he can provide me a rental car as well since it's my only daily transportation.
Good thing. There is only a handful of shops in Tampa. I betcha I know which one it is. Sadly, their rep at least for parts is great.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:54 AM

Atleast they are willing to help you out!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 05:47 PM

Well, long story short. I have officially spoke with one of the staffs who's somewhat knowledgable on DSM/Evo that's willing to give me a hand, but it's mandatory to have my Evo dropped off at the shop which will take roughly 2 weeks all said and done (rebuilt transfer case+labor free of charge). Why? Because he couldn't supply me a transfer case core from his secondary sources due to lack of green paper bills. With that said, he can not provide me a rental car either. Keep in mind, it's my only daily transportation as well as I work 5-6 days a week. How am I suppose to be at work? My magic carpet? Who's going to pay my bills on time if it's going to be down for 2 weeks? /facepalm
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sucks it happened but at least the shop is paying for it. I understand you're upset about the rental car but its better than paying for a rebuilt transfer case.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 04:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If the font wheels were stopped and you're rear wheels were spinning then your tcase is toast. It's pret much like getting towed by a non-flatbed towtruck
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Rent a car.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:06 AM

Be happy their doing anything about. lol most places would fight it tooth and nail.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 08:18 PM

Yeah, I agree. I completely understand they're willing to repair my transfer case, but it doesn't make any sense why they couldn't supply me another transfer case core while it's being rebuilt at a different shop. As soon as it arrives, they can just swap it out within a day. In a perfect world, it shouldn't take more than 8 hours of labor.

Quick Reply: Evo down!