Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Quartermaster clunk after 300 miles?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quartermaster clunk after 300 miles?

okay sorry for the long post that im about to type, but i just want to make sure its as detailed as possible and i cover every little part of my headache.... So a Quartermaster 8 leg clutch (7.25) was recently installed into my 5 speed Evo 8. everything was torqued down and lock tightened correctly.. clearance measurements were checked between HRB and clutch cover which was around .148". When i spoke to quarter master they told me if i'm between 140-160" would be fine. Also alot of people in different threads were saying in the .160 range, so i figured i right there in the middle and didn't need any shims

i also followed the poor mans clutch pedal stopper post as best as i could since there was no pictures but i think i missed a step somewhere because of what happened in the end.

So i go ahead and assemble everything as it should be, add fluids, bleed and torque everything down. Lastly we adjusted the pedal stopper on the lift so we could rotate the drive shaft better. After that was set to the certain height to get rid of the "dead" travel space we pull it out for a ride... everything is good to go and no leaks or weird noises

After a couple of on/off cycles i noticed that the starter started sounded weird at cranking start up only. Also like a sword fight metal to metal but just for a second then went away as soon as it turned on. Didn't think much of it. Keep driving then started hearing the clutch or HRB getting loud making a bad LOUD bad noise whenever i slipped to release the clutch. I looked it up and ppl said it was normal for those to be loud. So left that alone and continued with my break in.

After 320ish miles I thought maybe it was good to go so i start getting on it with boost and when i go to slam the clutch pedal in i feel that it went past the clutch pedal stopper (hence why i thought i installed it wrong earlier in the post) so i let off and drive normal until i could pull over to check the stopper. Before i could stop i started smelling my clutch really bad for about 2 minutes then i hear some rattling up front and my car shuts off. i pull over and try to crank it again and it just clicks as if the battery was dead. so i thought either i messed the clutch up some how or the starter just died on me.

I get it towed to my house and swap out starters with one i had for spare. Look through the inspection holes an everything looks good on flywheel, disks and pp. We're able to rotate and move the car to see if anything is locked up and it moves fine. I get the new starter put in and this time it cranks over and over but wont start up. I give it a little gas and it got CLUNK!! i try to crank again and it just clicks like the first starter did before i took it off.

I hope i was as detailed as possible so that someone may be able to throw some advice my way or what my next step would be and what to check/ troubleshoot

THANKS ALL HELP IS WELCOME!

Last edited by Darkn3s; Sep 11, 2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
May have to pull the tranny and see what is up... sounds like something is binding inside the bell housing to me...
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
May have to pull the tranny and see what is up... sounds like something is binding inside the bell housing to me...
yea i figured i had to pull it off to really see whats going on.. Its a new shep stage 2 trans i picked up from "ID10t" off the boards. goes into gear fine and everything
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

any ideas o what i should check prior to pulling it out