Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Worn out clutch pedal?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Worn out clutch pedal?

Hey guys, I've been plauged with some clutch issues recently (as pretty much every evo owner probably has been through).

I went to adjust my clutch by using the method that Jack's Transmission suggests with is this.

Now, I adjusted the master rod all the way out to the last few threads, couldn't push the slave in so I adjusted it in one full turn. Slave depresses 100% completely, now onto the issue.

The adjuster rod is literally on the last 2-3 threads on the fork that connects to the pedal. I did notice that when the clutch was adjusted lower there was a tiny bit of play in the pedal (a few mm). Time for a new clutch pedal assembly? Everything physically on the pedal looks fine, no cracks, bends, breaks, etc.

Thanks for any input guys.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Bump, no one had anything similar happen to them?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple mm of free play is fine what you need to worry about is if you have inches of free play. And if you are real close to the end of the rod you can adjust it in a lil. I just used the jacks method to get it in the vicinity but that left my rod too close to the end so I would adjust it in half a turn then drive to make sure it wouldn't lockout or grind then used tre's reality check to make sure it wasn't engaging the clutch too low to the floor.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jason42003
A couple mm of free play is fine what you need to worry about is if you have inches of free play. And if you are real close to the end of the rod you can adjust it in a lil. I just used the jacks method to get it in the vicinity but that left my rod too close to the end so I would adjust it in half a turn then drive to make sure it wouldn't lockout or grind then used tre's reality check to make sure it wasn't engaging the clutch too low to the floor.
That's the thing. I'm getting a little bit of clutch drag at 7500 rpm.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

What clutch? And are you sure it's clutch drag and not the synchros, unfortunately our cars synchros have a tendency to grind a little oem.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

What clutch? And are you sure it's clutch drag and not the synchros, unfortunately our cars synchros have a tendency to grind a little oem.
A competition stage 3 with a resurfaced ACT flyhweel, and the act monoloc.

The trans is really fresh I just had it rebuilt.

Neither the trans or clutch have more than a couple thousand miles on them. I'm really at a loss. I guess for now I'll just lower my rev limit to 7500 to keep my transmission happy.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah idk I know the act clutches have a reputation for dragging at high rpms sometimes. Did you clean the input shaft when you installed it, could be dragging a little on there. Sorry couldn't be more help there but the pedal should have a little free play at top. Could also try adjusting in a lil, mine got a lil better when I screwed mine in a lil.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah idk I know the act clutches have a reputation for dragging at high rpms sometimes. Did you clean the input shaft when you installed it, could be dragging a little on there. Sorry couldn't be more help there but the pedal should have a little free play at top. Could also try adjusting in a lil, mine got a lil better when I screwed mine in a lil.
It's all good man. I know the adjustment is spot on, but it's on the very last few threads of adjustment rod. Which leaves me to believe that I have a worn clutch pedal assembly. And yeah it was clean I put a tiny bit of grease on it so it would slide easily on it.

If worst comes to worse I'll just have to drop everything again. I've done it a few times so I'm a pro at it now, check the torque on the pressure plate bolts, the flywheel and clutch disc to make sure their flat. I wouldn't suspect the clutch fork to be an issue because it's cast iron and would snap before it would bend.

Last edited by hiboost2.0; Nov 12, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

So you got me worried about mine for a second haha but if you go here it gives the specs for free play on the clutch haha
http://www.evoscan.com/manuals/Evo6/...V6_XE21Con.pdf
Old Mar 3, 2014, 03:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just wanted to see if you found the answer. I have my adjustment rod all the way out and the clutch still engages right off the floor. BTW new tob, clutch, ss line, slave and master and bled the crap out of in. Any help would be great. I forgot to tell you guys the clutch I'm running. It's the exedy triple hd. Any guys with this clutch let me know if you have to adjust the rod all the way out too or what you did to fix it.

Last edited by Evilution226; Mar 4, 2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 09:02 AM

I forgot to tell you guys the clutch I'm running. It the exedy triple hd. Any guys with this clutch let me know if you have to adjust the rod all the way out.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 09:04 AM

I forgot to tell you guys the clutch I'm running. It's the exedy triple hd. Any guys with this clutch let me know if you have to adjust the rod all the way out too or what you did to fix it.