Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New Clutch, Flywheel, TOB, TC Noise...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Clutch, Flywheel, TOB, TC Noise...

What's up EvoM! I've searched and couldn't find any videos or descriptions matching the noise I'm getting from my Evo... So here's the deal.. As some of you may know I've been in search for a TC for over a year now due to me being in the military and only getting the holidays to work on my car it's been difficult sorting out the parts and finding time for family and fixing the car. I finally got a new TC and all the necessary items to fix my car and the day comes when I finally start her up and this happens...
Mods:
Competition Clutch Stage 4 Single Disc
Competition Lightweight Flywheel
New ToB
New TC
All new fluids(Redline)

Symptoms:
Makes horrible grinding noise when releasing the clutch pedal.
For 90-95% of pedal travel there is no noise no vibrations. The very last inch or centimeter of my foot releasing the clutch pedal does the sound appear.
Drove the car down the street, car shifts and drives fine besides the horrible grinding noise. For the first gear and second gear while coasting, I've had to press the pedal slightly(1cm-1inch-ish) to get the sound to disappear. I did notice in 3rd gear I could completely let off the pedal and have no noise.

Fixes:
I've already checked fluid levels, done a pedal adjustment(shorter and longer travel), and checked in the peep hole of the tranny to see if there was anything visually wrong..

In the video, I start the car cold and let off the clutch pedal. As I come to the end of the pedal travel you can CLEARLY hear the audible horror. As soon as I hear the noise in the video, I push the clutch pedal about halfway and sound goes away.. Then I slowly let off the pedal again to replicate the noise. I am in neutral in the video and not in gear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! My Evo has been down for far too long now and I really need to get this thing running good before driving a 1000 miles back to Texas to report back for duty.. Thanks EvoM
Old Dec 22, 2013, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sounds like the flywheel is hitting the metal backing plate.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 06:17 PM

Any help on this would be great!
Old Dec 24, 2013, 06:19 PM

Update: I took clutch flywheel out no scuff marks no visible damages.. Anyone ever heard this sound before? I'm afraid of putting it back together just to have that sound appear again..