Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch pressure plate wear limit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clutch pressure plate wear limit

What are the acceptable wear limits for clutch pressure plates? Is there a size / area limit for hot spots?

The pictures show an ACT pressure plate with about 30,000 miles. There are a few very small hot spots. Using a straight edge and feeler gauges, I measured .007 - .008" of wear on the face. There is about .001" of "cupping" across the face. Can this be re-used?

Last edited by speifer; Dec 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: corrected mileage
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

interested in this subscribe
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks fine to me. Aggressive discs will cut into the pressure plate over time but I have seen way worse than that. Unless you're pushing it's advertised torque rating I'd toss it back in with a balance job and call it a day.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 08:18 AM
Former Sponsor

It looks pretty good. Someone has been nice to it, Haha. The only problem I see is that the center section is missing. We have extra parts for that if you need them, but it takes special tooling to install them. I would also recommend installing our Monoloc if you don't already have one.

The pressure plate is not where most of the wear occurs. The disc will wear off up to about 2mm (.080") before it is completely worn out and the pressure plate has no more working range to sufficiently clamp it to hold power.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:28 PM

Thanks for everyone's responses.

ACTman, what is the best way to replace the center section? I mistakenly removed this when I removed the wedge collar. I bent the tabs up to remove it.

I already purchased a Monoloc to replace the wedge collar, but I assume a new center section will be needed since I bent the tabs back.

I also already purchased a replacement 6 pad sprung race disc. I was very happy with this originally. Nice engagement on the street. It actually had 30,000 miles (not 15,000). I was nice to it though... lol.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 02:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by speifer
Thanks for everyone's responses.

ACTman, what is the best way to replace the center section? I mistakenly removed this when I removed the wedge collar. I bent the tabs up to remove it.

I already purchased a Monoloc to replace the wedge collar, but I assume a new center section will be needed since I bent the tabs back.

I also already purchased a replacement 6 pad sprung race disc. I was very happy with this originally. Nice engagement on the street. It actually had 30,000 miles (not 15,000). I was nice to it though... lol.
The best way is to have us do it for you. We charge $25 for the two pieces and install them no charge. The worst part is the shipping back and forth. If you want just the crown retainer (the part that crimps), we can sell that to you separately for $10. If you want to try and install them yourself, we can sell the parts to you. Unfortunately our offices are closed for the holidays until January 2, so there isn't much we can do immediately.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:55 AM

I just wanted to give a huge thanks to ACT for helping me out with my pressure plate. Their customer service was some of the best I've ever experienced.