Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shifter bushings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2004, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter bushings

I have been lookin at short shifters, and it seems only logical to replace the bushings at the same time.

just wanted to know which one everyone has used the polyurethane or the metal bushings... also what are the downsides to metal and poly? metal is suppossed to make shifting feel even more direct than the polys. but what are the downsides to each?

-non
Old Mar 1, 2004, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

I have poly, i can't complain... feels good to me...

Last edited by RADmitsu; Mar 2, 2004 at 05:54 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we just put a revo short throw shifter and metal bushings into my friends rsx-s and i must say that the feel is very direct.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

i use polyu and there is a huge diff from stock. i have never tried metal, but i can tell you its worth the pocket change.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

but is there a point where it is too direct or stiff??? I mean I know the polys make a world of difference over stock but if there are no drawbacks to metal then why are the polys even produced??? I would guess there is more vibration in the metals over the polys... am I correct?

-non
Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

when you are race shifting you will be glad you have them. it totally takes away any play you have from shifting hard and shorter shifts = faster and less chance of effing up (for me at least)
Old Mar 2, 2004, 12:13 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you won't notice any more vibration in metals, I have the lancershop ones and love every minute of shifting with them in.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

ok, i have issues with second gear on a quick shift, about 87.2% of the time i will grind it, i think the syncros are screwed enough to where its inevitable.. my question is, for those of you who DO have the short throw and/or upgraded bushings, does it eliminate this problem (if any of you have experienced this)??
Old Mar 2, 2004, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

I have them but haven't needed to do an uber-fast 1st to 2nd gear change. I'll report back when I do.

Forgot to mention: On occasion I've gotten the 1st to 2nd gear change grind. Ususally because of the uber-fast shift.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

i have the perrin ss, my 2nd gear still grinds.... but where do you get metal bushings from....any links?

-shahul
Old Mar 2, 2004, 05:07 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by hel_if_ino
ok, i have issues with second gear on a quick shift, about 87.2% of the time i will grind it, i think the syncros are screwed enough to where its inevitable.. my question is, for those of you who DO have the short throw and/or upgraded bushings, does it eliminate this problem (if any of you have experienced this)??
GM Syncromesh in the tranny cured this problem for me by its self... I did the metal shifter assembly bushings and noticed only a slieght difference. I'm doing the metal shifter cable bushings next to see how direct that makes it...
Old Mar 2, 2004, 05:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I just ordered the B&M Short shifter, CNC (metal) Bushings, and the metal shift cable bushings (Under the hood on the tranny) I'll probably put the hardware in over the weekend and be able to give you guys my opinions on it.

I personally don't get grinding or missed shifts any longer with the stock shifter, Its really a matter of getting accustomed to the engagement point of the clutch, since I've become used to it, I don't have any difficulties.. at this point I'm doing it to try to get the feel a little better and make the shift throws a little shorter.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 09:12 AM

Fireball replaced his under the hood shifter bushings and uses Redline in the tranny and says this solved his second gear shifting problems.

I am ordering the bushings as we speak. . .
Old Mar 2, 2004, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Zeus

GM Syncromesh in the tranny cured this problem for me by its self... I did the metal shifter assembly bushings and noticed only a slieght difference. I'm doing the metal shifter cable bushings next to see how direct that makes it...
yeah i have bg synchroshift in mine, didnt make much diff at all, kind of pissed at the money i spent for little to no difference.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

www.lancershop.com

under the transmission section if i remember....

Quick Reply: Shifter bushings