Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Thoughts on my Summer 2014 setup.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thoughts on my Summer 2014 setup.

Hey!

I have a 2006 Evo 9 SE. Currently has about 63,000 miles. Still parked for winter.

Current Power Mods:

- DBB FP Red
- Full Race Manifold
- 880cc injectors
- ETS FMIC/LICP/UICP
- GSC S1
- Speed Density
- Titek o2 Housing
- Megan Downpipe/Testpipe
- Greddy Ti Exhaust

Summer 2014 Power Mods:

- Selling Stock framed setup and going with ETS T3 V-Band Kit -- PTE 5858BB
- Curt Brown Ported Intake Manifold w/ matched 70mm TB
- Curt Brown Ported Head
- GSC S2 w/ springs and retainers
- Going to do Timing Belt at the same time.
- FIC 1100cc injectors

Power objective, Im hoping is 500whp, keep WTQ low. Hopefully it'll last for a year and then next summer, put a ER 2.4LR in. Im hoping since the head will flow better, the PTE 5858 will hit full boost around 4800rpm.

Any thoughts? Changes? Add-ons? I was gonna maybe do a spoolinup cop while i was at it but dunno if it's necessary.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
sounds like a nice setup and you should reach your 500 whp goal. I always liked the 5858 as it will make nice power and still spool up pretty nice, I think you should get it to hit by your 4800 rpm claim . GL
Old Mar 19, 2014, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the exact same setup I plan on running this summer minus the curt brown head. Any particular reason y u choose the vband over standard t3?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 89turbosupra
This is the exact same setup I plan on running this summer minus the curt brown head. Any particular reason y u choose the vband over standard t3?
Not really, my friend said it makes install more friendly
Old Mar 19, 2014, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
sounds like a nice setup and you should reach your 500 whp goal. I always liked the 5858 as it will make nice power and still spool up pretty nice, I think you should get it to hit by your 4800 rpm claim . GL
Thanks man
Old Mar 20, 2014, 02:24 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a good set up mate.

I would go all out and get bigger injectors and future proof your self now.
Go with S3 cams, same spool as S2 (almost) but more top end.
What fuel system do you currently run?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 03:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a good setup, the spool of the 5858 shouldn't be much of an annoyance with the stock block, probably similar to the FP Black maybe a bit laggier.
I concur with 17pstockcar on the injectors part, not so much about the cams. Spend a few extra dollars for bigger injectors so you don't run out in the future if you plan to go big (which most of us do). I feel the S2s will preform very well with any setup so the S3s in my opinion are not needed, especially on a stock block.
A Spoolinup non-CDi COP will definitely benefit you, as I presume you're going to run 93 pump gas, correct?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 17pstockcar
Sounds like a good set up mate.

I would go all out and get bigger injectors and future proof your self now.
Go with S3 cams, same spool as S2 (almost) but more top end.
What fuel system do you currently run?
Originally Posted by Faisalm
That's a good setup, the spool of the 5858 shouldn't be much of an annoyance with the stock block, probably similar to the FP Black maybe a bit laggier.
I concur with 17pstockcar on the injectors part, not so much about the cams. Spend a few extra dollars for bigger injectors so you don't run out in the future if you plan to go big (which most of us do). I feel the S2s will preform very well with any setup so the S3s in my opinion are not needed, especially on a stock block.
A Spoolinup non-CDi COP will definitely benefit you, as I presume you're going to run 93 pump gas, correct?
I am running 94 octane in Canada.

Ive heard the S3's suck for commuting around the city

I almost wonder how the car would be with the Red and a o2 dump w/ the ported stuff. That would be pretty sweet too.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Go_Lancer_Go

I almost wonder how the car would be with the Red and a o2 dump w/ the ported stuff. That would be pretty sweet too.

I recently made the switch to S3s and as long as you have a good tuner s3s should be fine and net you a good amount of power over the s2s. A dump will make the most power on a stock frame setup.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

I mean I personally wouldn't go other than stock frame if my horsepower goals aren't 550+ whp. The Red should perform very very well with your setup. I feel the loss of spool from the 5858 with possibly a little higher top end is not worth the fascinating low/mid power the FP Red delivers.

IF, however, you are looking for high horsepower goals, then I certainly wouldn't be going with the 5858. Go big or go home. Anything with a 3582 or bigger turbo is worth it; otherwise, I feel your FP Red will perform superbly.

I know you plan on going with a 2.4L in the near future, I would suggest installing the short block at first, leave your turbo setup alone, and then decide if you want to go bigger.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

I mean I personally wouldn't go other than stock frame if my horsepower goals aren't 550+ whp. The Red should perform very very well with your setup. I feel the loss of spool from the 5858 with possibly a little higher top end is not worth the fascinating low/mid power the FP Red delivers.

IF, however, you are looking for high horsepower goals, then I certainly wouldn't be going with the 5858. Go big or go home. Anything with a 3582 or bigger turbo is worth it; otherwise, I feel your FP Red will perform superbly.

I know you plan on going with a 2.4L in the near future, I would suggest installing the short block at first, leave your turbo setup alone, and then decide if you want to go bigger.
I totally see your point and I've taken it into consideration as well.

The ONLY reason I am going 5858 is b/c my friend offered to buy my stock framed setup. I figured this would be the opportunity to pull the plug, go T3 and then when I go 2.4.......BOOM lol!!

With this all the ported stuff and my stock framed setup, you think i'd do 450-470whp? He's not in a huge rush for my red so maybe ill do the Red first and then when he's ready ill do the T3, maybe gives me a bit time to chill on the saving b/c im going crazy saving like a mad man! #carproblems lol! Basically by End of May i wanted everything installed.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

I totally see your point and I've taken it into consideration as well.

The ONLY reason I am going 5858 is b/c my friend offered to buy my stock framed setup. I figured this would be the opportunity to pull the plug, go T3 and then when I go 2.4.......BOOM lol!!

With this all the ported stuff and my stock framed setup, you think i'd do 450-470whp? He's not in a huge rush for my red so maybe ill do the Red first and then when he's ready ill do the T3, maybe gives me a bit time to chill on the saving b/c im going crazy saving like a mad man! #carproblems lol! Basically by End of May i wanted everything installed.
On 94 octane with GSC S2s, FP Red and all the other supporting mods, I'm more than confident that you'll surpass the 450whp mark (with a phenomenal tune that is *cough* TSComp *cough*)

I still don't see the point of a 5858 though... I mean you can get the 6262 or 6266 for exactly the same price as a 5858 (journal bearing) or for $250 more than the 5858 ball bearing version, you can get the 6466.

http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/E...Turbo-Kit.html

I'm sure you've done your research already just posting this here for you to make your comparisons again

Also, I would go V-band rather than T3.. Definitely looks nicer, easier to install, and less things to go wrong
Old Mar 20, 2014, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

looks like good plans, let me know when you're ready to part with that BB FP red, i'm looking for one
Old Mar 20, 2014, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slowsrt4:(
looks like good plans, let me know when you're ready to part with that BB FP red, i'm looking for one
I think he mentioned that he's going to sell it to his friend, that is why he's planning on going T3 Sorry to burst your bubble.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

On 94 octane with GSC S2s, FP Red and all the other supporting mods, I'm more than confident that you'll surpass the 450whp mark (with a phenomenal tune that is *cough* TSComp *cough*)

I still don't see the point of a 5858 though... I mean you can get the 6262 or 6266 for exactly the same price as a 5858 (journal bearing) or for $250 more than the 5858 ball bearing version, you can get the 6466.

http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/E...Turbo-Kit.html

I'm sure you've done your research already just posting this here for you to make your comparisons again

Also, I would go V-band rather than T3.. Definitely looks nicer, easier to install, and less things to go wrong
6262 or 6266 ............. dude on a 2.0L...that would be soooooooooooooo laggy!!! Also im on stock block, I would blow that thing up hahahaha.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on my Summer 2014 setup.