Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Revved up to 4krpm heard a loud bang....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess the 'valet mode' was really meant to be. Indeed I was lucky and will not do it again until I get this issue resolved. Thanks for the help
Old Aug 12, 2018, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the same exact thing happened to me the other day, and i literally shat my pants. Car was still running but I couldn't accelerate. As of now, still starts and runs fine just cannot hit turbo (pull). My oil pressure gauge was 0 and the light for the check oil light came on. Just wondering if that happened to you?

Btw, did you find out what the problem was?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Demoneyez
the same exact thing happened to me the other day, and i literally shat my pants. Car was still running but I couldn't accelerate. As of now, still starts and runs fine just cannot hit turbo (pull). My oil pressure gauge was 0 and the light for the check oil light came on. Just wondering if that happened to you?

Btw, did you find out what the problem was?
yeah he said it was valet mode which basically set his rev limiter at 4K , seems like all was good once he was on the proper map/ tune.
The following users liked this post:
Demoneyez (Aug 12, 2018)
Old Aug 12, 2018, 06:08 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Please be sure your car is tuned. If you are WOT at 4K rpm and seeing 14s for AFR, you may end up with a much, much worse problem.. like no more engine.

If swapping maps put you into valet mode, then you do not have an e85 tune on the car and are running e85 on a stock tune. That is not enough fuel for the car to operate safely.

I'd also suggest speaking with the person you got the car from and ask questions in order to learn about the car before something else goes wrong (with potential for disaster). Had valet mode not been activated, I'm 99% you would have just blown up your car.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 05:58 AM

I did do a comp test and a turbo check which checked out to be all good two days after this incident happened... but my evo 8 is due for a retune since it hadn't been tuned in 3.5 years.

I looked on other forums, such as https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=469443, this also occurred to my car, I cannot hit boost or turbo and my car does not want to accelerate, it might be my lower intercooler pipe but not too sure until i take it to a professional.

Plus, I mentioned my oil pressure came on and my oil pressure gauge is 0. What does this mean?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 04:42 PM
kaj

I mentioned my oil pressure came on and my oil pressure gauge is 0. What does this mean?
The light is kinda meh.. but if it's on AND you are reading zero from a legit gauge (I.E. not Prosport, aka crap), then you have a bigger problem and should have the car checked ASAP.
Demoneyez (Aug 13, 2018)
Old Aug 13, 2018, 07:18 PM

ahh... I do have Defi gauges, hope its nothing too concerning as I am getting it checked out on Thursday.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 08:12 PM
kaj

Check it's mounting point, wires, and ground. Hopefully it's a coincidence and a problem with where it's located (OEM sensor may be in same area).
Demoneyez (Aug 15, 2018)
Old Aug 16, 2018, 07:32 AM

Question

Update on my Evo 8: Very bad news, I took it to a very reputable place today (almost all the evos in my state is taken there). Unfortunately for me all of these unfortunate problems had to happen as I don't have much luck in life.

- Turbo blew up causing the loud bang which disarmed one of the pipes connecting to it. I did do a turbo check 3 days before this happened at another JDM place different to the one it is at as of now. The other JDM place quoted me that my engine and turbo were fine...
- Oil leak, but there was no oil leak on my pavement, must've lost almost all the oil when the incident happened
- As there was no oil passing through and was leaking due to the pipe connecting disarm, while my car 'Limped' home. Worst came to worst no oil was supplied to my engine and therefore my engine has to retire.

This was my first Evo 8 (my dream car), unfortunately, things happen. I hadn't even owned the car for half a year! it makes me very sad and distressed that I could not live and enjoy happily with my dream car, but I guess it is what it is.

There were 3 options given to me;
1 - take the car home and give it more time to decide what to do with it.
2 - find another engine, pretty risky but, I might've found someone in my area with a wrecking evo, but it is an Evo 9 motor, idk if it will be compatible or not with my Evo 8 and I am not too sure if the motor is safe and healthy until I get a mechanic to see it.
3 - most costly, rebuild my engine which would set me back more than half of what I paid for the car.

I am thinking of swapping the engine if all does go well as i am in a bit of a financial trouble.

Sorry but idk if this is the right forum to sob out my tears, but thanks to all that helped me out! Greatly appreciated!

Old Aug 16, 2018, 09:28 AM
kaj

You didn't see any smoke after the turbo died?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 06:42 PM

I'm am pretty sure smoke came out after it happened. But my car was smoky before all of this happened, i thought it was my turbo but this other place inspected my turbo and said it was all fine.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 07:18 PM
kaj

It would have been, but once you hear a "pop" and see smoke (I'm sure it was more than usual), you needed to park the car to keep it from dying. If the car was smoking that bad before all this, then it just needed a rebuild, either way.
Short version: you needed a rebuild, but now you are forced to. Bummer.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 08:28 PM

The thing is the other mechanic said that the car was safe and all it needed was a retune.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 09:56 PM
kaj

The thing is the other mechanic said that the car was safe and all it needed was a retune.
A bad tune could have killed it, since you went wot anyway. Or, could have been a problem with the turbo they couldn't see. We don't know the cars history ,how you drove it ,etc.
Hard to say. Unfortunate ,either way ,dude. I had a brand new FP turbo die on me. They couldn't figure out how it died, so now I'm stock. So, I.feel.your pain.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
A bad tune could have killed it, since you went wot anyway. Or, could have been a problem with the turbo they couldn't see. We don't know the cars history ,how you drove it ,etc.
Hard to say. Unfortunate ,either way ,dude. I had a brand new FP turbo die on me. They couldn't figure out how it died, so now I'm stock. So, I.feel.your pain.
Damn bro... just all over the place right now, thanks for trying to help me out anyways.

Quick Reply: Revved up to 4krpm heard a loud bang....