Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

bluish smoke on start up,need help!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bluish smoke on start up,need help!

Hey guys,
Have a 2004 Evo8 with a built motor, stock head.I have noticed my car smokes on startups and now at idle.The smoke looks like bluish smoke and would usually go away when car is warm up. But recently its now throwing light smoke at idle and when you rev it. When I did the motor build, I had bought the Mitsubishi overhaul kit and had my builder change valve seals. Now I am having doubts if its valve seals or could this be valve guide? I will also be pulling the intake to check turbo as well.
I just checked my oil and seems to burn atleast half a quart in 5 days so oil is passing somewhere for sure. Please all the advise would be greatly appreciated and take into consideration thanks guys.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Still sounds like valve seals.

Even tho you had them changed, they still could have gone bad/worn out.

There are several different materials seals are made from, with different temp ratings.

IMHO the blue vitions are the best out on the market.

For the guides to be worn bad enough to unload one side of the valve seal, you would also get a skip or miss randomly, due to the valve not seating correctly.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BogusSVO
Still sounds like valve seals.

Even tho you had them changed, they still could have gone bad/worn out.

There are several different materials seals are made from, with different temp ratings.

IMHO the blue vitions are the best out on the market.

For the guides to be worn bad enough to unload one side of the valve seal, you would also get a skip or miss randomly, due to the valve not seating correctly.

well I was hoping not since the motor was built last October making it only 6 months now but I am not ruling it out either.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Turbo seals?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Valve seals-- especially if you changed Valve springs-- in earlier threads the seals can be dislodged by various spring types causing your issue.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by meckert
Valve seals-- especially if you changed Valve springs-- in earlier threads the seals can be dislodged by various spring types causing your issue.
I'm going to agree , I know you said you run GSC S2 cams but if you used stock valve seals when you had them replaced then that might be your problem.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
I'm going to agree , I know you said you run GSC S2 cams but if you used stock valve seals when you had them replaced then that might be your problem.
So you can't use stock valve seals with cams? hmm can someone chip in on this please I did reuse stock mitsu valve seals didn't think would have been a prob.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

also I don't think he replace springs just the valve seals will have to confirm this with him.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rjfg
Turbo seals?

well when I pull the intake pipe out I will get some more idea as to if its the turbo or not.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

I am pulling the intake and plugs tom, if the plugs have signs of oil is this valve seals for sure?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

ok so this afternoon we pulled the spark plugs and found oil on all four, just residue of oil on the sides of them and some oil just around the spark plug cover. Now i was doing some research on oil on spark plugs and see a lot ppl replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plug seal, could this be my problem?? So the explanation for the blue smoke is the oil that the plugs are burning that is coming through the spark plug cover seal ? please need some advise on this update thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boost556
ok so this afternoon we pulled the spark plugs and found oil on all four, just residue of oil on the sides of them and some oil just around the spark plug cover. Now i was doing some research on oil on spark plugs and see a lot ppl replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plug seal, could this be my problem?? So the explanation for the blue smoke is the oil that the plugs are burning that is coming through the spark plug cover seal ? please need some advise on this update thanks.
How would the oil get into the cylinder with the spark plugs in place? Sure oil get get into the spark plug hole if the gaskets were messed up would just pull up in there unless all of your spark plugs weren't tightened properly.

-Michael
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Michael @ FP
How would the oil get into the cylinder with the spark plugs in place? Sure oil get get into the spark plug hole if the gaskets were messed up would just pull up in there unless all of your spark plugs weren't tightened properly.

-Michael

Hey Michael I replaced all four plugs today and tighten them all, car still shoot light bluish smoke under normal driving and also at idle. There was oil in all of the cylinders where the plugs rest. I am about to change the valve seals next wk to see if that's the problem. Another thing that is crossing my mine could it be rings?
When I did the rebuild had to bore the block and get machined, so I went .20 over
I am running 85.5mm Wiseco 9:0:1 CR, could it be my builder didn't use the right clearance on the pistons? I am currently on 93 octane with meth what clearance should have used here?

Last edited by boost556; Apr 9, 2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

I am changing the valve seals next wk will be using the gsc vitons hope this solve my issue kind of stressful having to deal with this only after the motor was not too long rebuilt.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Now that you say you are getting bluish smoke at normal driving conditions, That points to bad rings or turbo seal, or a kinked turbo oil return, or a issue in the PCV system.

Now if rings, it would not clearance as an issue, but the wrong grit stone used when the block was honed, to coarse of a stone would just chew the rings up in short order.

If the PCV system is the issue, the oil vapors are not being vented correctly, and being sucked into the inlet track, the TB blade should be overly oily.

If turbo, it could be caused by high oil pressure into the turbo, forcing oil past the seals.

A kinked oil return will not allow the turbo to drain properly, and allow oil to be backed up into the turbo, forcing oil past the seals.

Run a leak down test, this will let you know how well the rings are seating.

Quick Reply: bluish smoke on start up,need help!