Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil Change Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2004, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever. Why would they suspect you are running conventional oil if you had to drive 20 minutes. Those guys could care less. They will drop the oil w/o thinking about it. You are not in for a warantee claim anyway. You cannot tell it's reg. oil by looking.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

This is what I call "Steping over a dollar to pick up a dime".
Old Mar 7, 2004, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

An oil filter that wont come off? I can honestly say, ive never heard of this problem before. Even if whoever did you last oil change forgot to rub a little bit of oil on the gasket of the oil filter before putting it on, theirs usually a little bit of oil on the oil filter plate on the engine so the gasket gets some sort of saturation. I usually use an oil filter wrench that I bought for $7.99 that really gets a good grip on the oil filter and gives you plenty of leverage to twist it off...
Old Mar 7, 2004, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by SinCityEvo
Whatever. Why would they suspect you are running conventional oil if you had to drive 20 minutes. Those guys could care less. They will drop the oil w/o thinking about it. You are not in for a warantee claim anyway. You cannot tell it's reg. oil by looking.
Because Mitsu looks for any reason to void your warranty, the examples are all over this board. They would have known I drained the oil before I attempted the oil filter. Its a moot point anyway because there is likely a hole in the filter anyway. The towing is free so its a no-brainer and frankly you'll likely get more attention when the car comes on a flatbed truck. I really didn't expect this was going to turn into a debate on how to transport the car to the dealer.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by tryandcatchme
An oil filter that wont come off? I can honestly say, ive never heard of this problem before. Even if whoever did you last oil change forgot to rub a little bit of oil on the gasket of the oil filter before putting it on, theirs usually a little bit of oil on the oil filter plate on the engine so the gasket gets some sort of saturation. I usually use an oil filter wrench that I bought for $7.99 that really gets a good grip on the oil filter and gives you plenty of leverage to twist it off...
We've never encountered that problem before either!

We attached an approximately 3 foot lever arm to the strap-type filter wrench and still could not get it loose. This is the lever arm we usually only bring out when a bolt on the wheels is too tight!

That filter wrench does look good, I think I might pick one up.

Last edited by revhappy; Mar 7, 2004 at 07:34 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

It is very easy to overtighten these oil filters. They seem to get tighter after 5k miles especially! It specifically does say on the filter or the box that, once the rubber makes contact, turn it another 3/4's, thats it.
Its very easy to go way beyond that, especially if your using a wrench tool to tighten it.

I've done about 7 changes so far. There was one time it took me over an hour to take off the filter because of it being too tight. I had fear of having to get the car towed at one point.

I normally tighten by hand, and tighten just a notch more with the wrench. thats it these days.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

I have a nice tool that looks like a colapsing socket goes on the bottom of the filter and as you try to spin it off it tightens. never had one i could nt get off, it attaches to a 3/8s wrench if you need you can use a longer one. also it doesnt damage the filter and goes on the bottom the wrench tools are hard to get on in the tight space as well as try to spin. I only hand tighten just 1 turn , 3/4 if its nice and tight. still need tool to remove it after 5000 miles. always lube the seal.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by revhappy

Because Mitsu looks for any reason to void your warranty, the examples are all over this board. They would have known I drained the oil before I attempted the oil filter. Its a moot point anyway because there is likely a hole in the filter anyway. The towing is free so its a no-brainer and frankly you'll likely get more attention when the car comes on a flatbed truck. I really didn't expect this was going to turn into a debate on how to transport the car to the dealer.
The dealer will love to see that car come in on a flat bed with a crushed oil filter. Nothing says inexperienced owner more. This will not look good to them in the future when you have a problem, they will think you messed with it before taking it to them.
Just get a decent filter wrench and take the thing off.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

I had to crush my maximas once to get it off. No damage done and it worked fine. used a large flat head screwdriver.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had problems before getting the filter off a car. That was many years ago and i was young, inexperienced and did not have the right tools. I tried the screwdriver through the filter trick and it was a disaster The freaking oil ran out, the filter got practaically destroyed and it still it would not come off... I cannot remember how I finally got the sumffa***** off, but I can tell you for sure that I'll never put anything through a filter to use as a lever I promise that if you have the right tool and use it properly, there is almost a 100% chance that you'll get it off easily and without any nasty surprises.

my $.02
Old Mar 7, 2004, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by timzcat

The dealer will love to see that car come in on a flat bed with a crushed oil filter. Nothing says inexperienced owner more. This will not look good to them in the future when you have a problem, they will think you messed with it before taking it to them.
Just get a decent filter wrench and take the thing off.
That's right my father who is a mechanical engineer who designed military aircraft and performed just about all of his maintenance on his cars (and got about 200K miles on many of them, most of which were modles that had dismal reliability records) for DECADES spent almost 2 hours on it after my hour on it....is "inexperienced". Well, if cementing a simple thing like putting on an oil filter makes you "experienced", then call us novices. Frankly, this will be the last time this dealer (or any dealer unless there is warranty/recall work) will see my car so I'll leave my people impressing skills to job interviews.

A strap-type oil filter wrench should be more than sufficient to take off a friggin oil filter. A strap-type with a 3 plus foot heavy duty extension should be overkill. These tools have been enough for hundreds of oil changes. Next time, I will make sure I get the exact type of metal filter wrench/other tools as well, but honestly this one will only come off one way - by destroying it. Since, I am doing the work in someone else's garage, I really would rather avoid the potential mess that's going to probobly occur.

Last edited by revhappy; Mar 7, 2004 at 09:43 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by revhappy

That's right my father who is a mechanical engineer who designed military aircraft and performed just about all of his maintenance on his cars (and got about 200K miles on many of them, most of which were modles that had dismal reliability records) for DECADES spent almost 2 hours on it after my hour and half on it....is "inexperienced". Well, if cementing a simple thing like putting on an oil filter makes you "experienced", then call us novices. Frankly, this will be the last time this dealer (or any unless there is warranty/recall work) will see my car so I'll leave my people impressing skills to job interviews.

A strap-type oil filter wrench should be more than sufficient to take off a friggin oil filter. A strap-type with a 3 plus foot heavy duty extension should be overkill. These tools have been enough for hundreds of oil changes. Next time, I will make sure I get the exact type of filter wrench, but honestly this one will only come off one way - by destroying it.
The metal band type wrenches are not that good in this situation. You are not trying to spin the filter enough and are just prying on it more. The finger or cup type that goes on the end of the filter will work better.

I am trying to tell you how the dealer will take it. And telling them your father is a mechanical engineer is not going to help because they design the cars that technicians work on and when ever they don't like the design of something because it is a ***** to work on that is who gets blamed. I know this because I used to work in a dealership. I am not trying to put you or your father down. Just trying to help.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Where in North Jersey are you?
I am in South Jersey and if your not all the way up there maybe I will come take it off for you.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

This is the best and probably last filter wrench one will ever need. I've had mine for over 10yrs. now and it has never let me down. The 3 legs will grab and crush the can if it needs to, to get the filter off. Works with a 3/8" drive.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Change Nightmare-430_2.jpg  
Old Mar 7, 2004, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

The metal band type wrenches are not that good in this situation. You are not trying to spin the filter enough and are just prying on it more. The finger or cup type that goes on the end of the filter will work better.
Damn, you said that just before I went back and edited my message!

I am trying to tell you how the dealer will take it. And telling them your father is a mechanical engineer is not going to help because they design the cars that technicians work on and when ever they don't like the design of something because it is a ***** to work on that is who gets blamed. I know this because I used to work in a dealership. I am not trying to put you or your father down. Just trying to help.
No sweat dude, I'm just a bit frustrated. I'll probobly bite the bullet and add oil back in and check the filter, but I'm not hopeful...its still functional!

Quick Reply: Oil Change Nightmare