Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My turbo bearing seized and shaft snapped...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My turbo bearing seized and shaft snapped...

Newbie here...

Does anyone here know if the Evo8's have had any problems with turbo failure? I've done extensive searching but haven't found anyone that's had their stock turbo fail.

It's at the dealer right now waiting for a new one. They said the front bearing went bad and the shaft snapped. My car has no engine or exhaust mods. It's pretty much bone stock. When it failed, I was in 3rd gear accelerating and was around 3500 rpms. The car just nosed over and had no power.

I'm just dumb founded by this considering I hear these cars are pretty much bullet proof plus I have not heard of anyone else with this failure. At least not yet.

So has anyone else had this problem?

BTW, the service dept at the dealer my cars at is awesome to work with. They got my car right in and figured out the problem and quickly ordered the part. No hassle whatsoever. Reason why I say this is all the posts I've read here saying what a nightmare they've had at their dealers not warranting things that should be. I guess I'm lucky (knock on wood) but unlucky if I'm the only one that's had this problem (turbo failure).

Anyone with some info would be much appreciated!

Last edited by LYVIII; Mar 9, 2004 at 11:25 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

maybe u got a lemon car
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

jesus, just because he's had one problem doesnt mean the damn car is a lemon.. so many people are quick to say that these days, **** happens! now.. on the other hand, if it happens again and again, thats a different story.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 07:27 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Hi,

There have not been many reports of tubocharger failure on our VIII's. How many miles on the turbo? Thanks.

Speedlimit...
Old Mar 10, 2004, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

i am pretty sure that this is the first time i hear of such a failure and i pretty much live here

mifesto- please do a search on the definition of lemon and you might see that instead of scaring people and amking them want to sell their car there might be something else going on. a turbo failure or even a tranny blowing up down't make it a lemon. a car with the same problem over and over that is pretty much at the dealer more than on the road is a lemon.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

bearing failure? possibly not enough oil getting to the turbos? i say a lemon car as a fluke, an unlucky evo...manufactor defective... if you are changing the oil every 3-4k with the proper mobile1 oil, it shouldnt seize on such a young turbo...
Old Mar 10, 2004, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by Speedlimit
Hi,

There have not been many reports of tubocharger failure on our VIII's. How many miles on the turbo? Thanks.

Speedlimit...
under 10k.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Rob (coolguys949) from Socalevo.net had the same problem. They warrantied him a new turbo.

Joel
Old Mar 10, 2004, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by YellowFever
Rob (coolguys949) from Socalevo.net had the same problem. They warrantied him a new turbo.

Joel
Thanks for the info!
Old Mar 10, 2004, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
**** happens. It's when the same **** happens to several different cars that you start to worry. I do not think that yours is a common problem and Mitsubishi is fixing it without arguement, so all is well.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

scaring? dont overreact at something that i suggested "maybe u got a lemon car "...
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I say that if its covered under warranty, then don't sweat it, If their following procedure and making sure its not an oil passage obstruction (and checking the oil pressure of the engine too) or some obstruction in the oil cooler..

In other words, Once its fixed, odds are it'll stay fixed. Honestly this is the first I've heard of this kind of problem, but turbo bearing failures are caused by oil starvation and excessive heat.. since I doubt that something fell into the turbo and froze it up (it would have other damage otherwise)

I'm glad you got a good cooperative dealer, it makes the experience of owning this car so much nicer.. I was also fortunate enough to find a dealer who is friendly, accomodating, and enthusiast oriented.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
My car had a factory turbo failure at 11,000 miles. It didn't actually break but, I could feel something wasn't right. They took the turbo off and the shaft had way too much play in it. They replaced with no hassle. Also make sure they change your oil and filter to make sure no metal is floating around in there.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

You might also want to get your oil lines for the turbo replaced.

If for any reason there is junk in them the issue may resurface. The failure could have been due to lack of oil to the turbo. Even if it was an actual bearing failure and not oil related I would get them replaced anyway.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

I think I'd have them cut open the oil filter and look for debris. If any is found then you have a more serious situation because there might be more junk waiting to take out the new turbo or other bearings.

Quick Reply: My turbo bearing seized and shaft snapped...