Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New engine vibration after service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New engine vibration after service

I just had the timing gear on my 03 VIII replaced (by All Aspects Chesapeake VA) replaced; belts, pulleys, and adjusters. The clatter of the old high mile gear is gone, idle is nice and smooth. But, from about 3k RPM's on up there is now a coarse noise/vibration that wasn't there before that runs with engine speed. accelerate in low gears and the vibration appears, thrown in the clutch and the vibration winds down with the motor. Its not overly severe but it is there now and quite noticeable to me. I can feel it through the wheel, pedals, and shifter.

All Aspects looked at it when I brought it back to them and didn't seem to have an opinion about it, they loosened and tightened the bolts on a motor mount to no affect. I've driven almost 100 miles highway with it (vibration negligible in 5th and 70 mph, accelerating 1-2 gear becomes very noticeable) with no change in it so far.

All Aspects has offered to take the car in and do a more detailed look at it, I was interested if anyone here had any experience with this sort of thing and could share a cause.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.mooreautomotive.com/contact/
Old Sep 17, 2014, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You mean you had a timing belt job done. Correct?

I wonder if they clocked the oil pump sprocket correctly? If it's off 180* you will notice a vibration at higher rpms...
Old Sep 17, 2014, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
You mean you had a timing belt job done. Correct?

I wonder if they clocked the oil pump sprocket correctly? If it's off 180* you will notice a vibration at higher rpms...
They did the timing and balance shaft belts. I asked them about that, and they said that they did synch the oil pump. Perhaps they didn't?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Very possibly they didn't....
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

I'm going to schedule to have them take the car back in like they offered, and open it up and look at it. I've heard of vibrations after this procedure going away in a few weeks (said due to non stock motor mounts?). I can see this issue tearing something up in the long run.

thanks for the input
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Do you have non-stock motor mount(s)?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Ask them if they removed the oil cylinder block pug and placed a screwdriver to lock in the oil sprocket.

I have no clue about the non-oem motor mounts causing this...maybe EvOikon has a better idea about this.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like the balance shaft wasn't done correctly.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

motor mounts stock. I've had timing belt done before and didn't have this issue. All Aspects is going to take it back in and check it out on Friday. I'll suggest the oil pump - screw driver thing; I've already been told that they do this sort of thing all the time and know what to do.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Belt too tight? Just keep an eye on it and don't drive it too much or go WOT with this vibration until you take it back for them to look at it......

Let us know what it turns out to be!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

I have to drive it to and from work to put it back in the shop Thursday night. I'll keep the rev's low; better walking on eggs then dining on ashes. A quick dumb question: If indeed the oil pulley is is misaligned, is there an obvious tell (like factory alignment marks) so that they discover it and get it fixed?

The noise is like a buzzing, the vibration similar to driving over the grate on a drawbridge. At idle it continues to be nice and smooth.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you pull the timing covers, the cam gears, oil pump, and balance shaft alignment marks should all line up with their marks on the block/valve cover when the crank is at the tdc mark. spin the crank clockwise and they should all match up to their marks every 6th revolution if I'm not mistaken.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Close^ 8 rotations
Old Sep 18, 2014, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Its back at All Aspects; dreading a "Well, we looked at it and it seems to be all in order with what we did to it". See what happens. Last timing belt that went in there (in a different shop) this didn't happen.

Quick Reply: New engine vibration after service