Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

vent to atmosphere synapse diverter valve open at idle

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vent to atmosphere synapse diverter valve open at idle

Hi everyone, I have been running the synapse diverter valve for the past year with the stock maf configuration. Well I recently switched to a speed density set up and I'm running the synapse diverter valve VTA and relized that my diverter valve is wide open at idle. I have run the valve in push and pull mode both using the a+b ports with the spring pressure pretty stiff and its still open. Should I switch to a BOV if I wish to continue to run VTA? I've searched and didn't really find anything that fit my situation. This is the setup I'm using.
https://www.lancershop.com/customer/product.php?productid=2797
Old Apr 25, 2015, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Thats normal for the Synapse. I have one and its open too.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:33 AM

Probably going to run a foam filter on the exit side to be safe. I just don't want Murphy showing up like he always does.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by b16a95eg
Thats normal for the Synapse. I have one and its open too.
Are you running their diverter valve or one of their BOV? After looking around the web I see that the DV has one spring, while their BOV has a primary spring and a main spring. I get the concept for the diverter to stay open, all the air in the system is metered and filtered and will aide with spool up. With a VTA setup though you would probably want the intake system sealed at idle im guessing. Going to pepboys today (the one buy my place carries vibrant performance stuff) to see if they have a greddy flange I can weld on to my intercooler piping to run an greddy knock off my buddy has laying around until i want to drop some money on a new BOV...Unless anyone wants to trade a DV for a BOV? Bellow are two diagrams I found for a comparison.

DIVERTER VALVE

BLOW OFF VALVE
Old Apr 27, 2015, 08:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
It's fine. It has to be open or it will load the turbo up since the turbo is producing more mass flow than the engine needs at idle. And it doesn't need a filter, it's only pushing air out, it's never sucking air in. You'd probably just blow the filter off anyways the first time you life from a WOT pull..