Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help! No Alt Charge No Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! No Alt Charge No Dash Lights

Alright so to make a long story short I recently bought an Evolution VIII and quickly found that the car had battery/alternator issues. The battery is a trunk relocated Optima Red Top.

It had been leaking out of the back so I went ahead and bought a new battery but still was having issues with the car after driving a while (battery and SRS then dead) and found my Alternator went bad as the battery wasn't charging.

Due to having an early bracket design (goes behind idler pulley and back of the head not both back of the head) I couldn't find an alternator that had the correct housing so I paid a local shop to rebuild my OEM.

After the install my Battery and SRS Lights went away so I thought issue had been fixed but the car still runs the battery dead.

I have checked the plug and bolted-on line on the Alternator and the 60 and 100 amp fuses but all seem just fine and I have no lights on dash yet I'm still getting no charge.

What else can I try?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I know on same cars the alternator will not charge if the dash light for the alternator is burnt out.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
I know on same cars the alternator will not charge if the dash light for the alternator is burnt out.
You may be in to something there. When I put key into ignition and turn forward to test the lights I'm missing a few I think including the Battery Light

Only ones I have are oil and SRS
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Verlassene
You may be in to something there. When I put key into ignition and turn forward to test the lights I'm missing a few I think including the Battery Light

Only ones I have are oil and SRS
So I pulled the cluster and all the bulbs looked good with the exception of the CEL which was just removed entirely. I swapped the bulbs around and still had the oil light but no battery light or abs (!) light. I have no idea why
Old Dec 1, 2015, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
So I pulled the cluster and all the bulbs looked good with the exception of the CEL which was just removed entirely. I swapped the bulbs around and still had the oil light but no battery light or abs (!) light. I have no idea why
I notice I have bulbs out for headlights and seatbelt. I know from experience that once I pull the cluster and start messing with the bulbs just the shock of touching them will break the old filaments. I need to call the dealer and ask for all the bulbs in the cluster. Otherwise, I will be doing this repair twice.

The bulbs are so tiny I have trouble seeing the filaments. You can ohm them with a meter.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
I notice I have bulbs out for headlights and seatbelt. I know from experience that once I pull the cluster and start messing with the bulbs just the shock of touching them will break the old filaments. I need to call the dealer and ask for all the bulbs in the cluster. Otherwise, I will be doing this repair twice.

The bulbs are so tiny I have trouble seeing the filaments. You can ohm them with a meter.
The bulbs are good, the ones that didn't light before then lit when put in the oil pressure spot.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:04 PM

The bulbs are good, the ones that didn't light before then lit when put in the oil pressure spot.
Any ideas anyone? I still can't solve this