Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch??? Brand? Sprung? Puck? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2016, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch??? Brand? Sprung? Puck? HELP!

Hey guys! Looking for some help to pick the best clutch for my car.

First off I daily drive my car, and occasionally take a trip out to Mexico on the week ends! I also go down to LA Every once in a while so I need to put traffic driving into play.

Mods I have are 272 Kelford cams, open dump, Down pipe, Fuel pump and currently on a very conservative tune (18lbs), BUT! I have my intake, test pipe, cat back, 3 port, injectors, and EBC Waiting for when I go get a duel map for e85 and up my boost.

So with all that in mind I'm hoping to be around 350awhp??? What clutch would be best option for me?!

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2016, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
sprung will take away the shock that will be otherwise implimented on your drivetrain if you ran an un-sprung clutch, Imand I personally wouldn't recommend it anyway since you're daily driving it, ACT and COMP clutches are the way to go when it comes to the single disk applications,
COMP is what im ordering next, alot of people run them, and love them, get a stage 2-3, stage 2 should be enough for your goals.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got my evo back from the shop with a new copitition clutch stage 2 single disk springless. It hasn't even hit 100 miles on it yet and I love it already better shifts about stalk ingagmemt, a little noise at deceleration, but you really need to be listing for it or you would miss it. Pedel feal is about the same as stalk. I don't race my evo and don't launch it so I'm not worried about breaking parts of my drive train, I am always shifting smooth as possible. I would recommend this clutch to any Evo owner. I am currently running 407 horsepower and this clutch seems to handle it well thus far.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^I'm having my Competition Clutch Stage 2 installed now at Speed Element! Turns out my clutch fork broke!! Good to know you like yours even at only 100 miles. I have less HP than you so I know I'll be good in that department. I'm sourcing an oem flywheel at the moment .. uuugghh

I had the ACT HDSS clutch in it and loved it. Lasted me just over 100K with a few launches...not many. Didn't want to pay the price for it this time so I'm giving the Competition Stage 2 and the ACT Monoloc collar a try (about $150 cheaper)!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Get an ACT HDSS and streetlite flywheel. Best clutch available for lower power levels.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 02:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Get an ACT HDSS and streetlite flywheel. Best clutch available for lower power levels.

+1

great clutch and flywheel
Old Jan 20, 2016, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Whatever you get, use an ACT monoloc not the stock one

also, if you DD the car buy a sprung clutch

I'm a fan of the Exedy HD