Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Twin to Triple Conversion Q's

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exedy Twin to Triple Conversion Q's

Hello,

I'm going to be installing a twin to triple kit.

I've got the new discs, new pressure plate, two new intermediate plates, spline hub adapter, new Mitsu TOB and an ACT monolock.

I'm reusing a cover plate, and my excellent machinist has resurfaced the flywheel and towers to the same spec.

My questions are:
With a new twin I know that there are paint lines from the factory to line up to balance the clutch. The new parts do not have these lines- is there any concern for balancing these? Or not since these discs aren't sprung....

Secondly, the baskets and towers aren't polished on these. What are people using to polish them? Is it as necessary to do this on a triple as it is on a single? there is also a small burr line at the very top of the tower from resurfacing. I'm assuming that needs to come off as well?

Any other tips? Seems simple... but don't want to miss anything. Search didn't get great results.

TIA!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Anybody? 😕 I searched. Trans is out need to get it installed... I emailed Jacks too since they did the write up intially on this but no reply.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would try having a machine shop balance it. usually they will do the entire rotating assebly.. but as long as you keep the flywheel and pressure plate lined up you should be ok, i believe when they sell the pieces new they are individually balanced, but why dont you call up exedy and see what they say and report back!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Good thought on having the machine shop balance it. I'll ask my guy tonight what he thinks... has anyone else done that?

Do you think its necessary?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Well, two of the three intermediate plates/pressure plate had one particular basket that was marked, and one plate was marked right in the middle. I lined those up with the original blue mark from the cover plate when it was a twin. My machine shop wasn't sure how they would balance the whole assembly so I figured I'd just give it a shot. I'm probably overthinking this whole process.

I polished the towers and baskets on the plates with red scotch-brite. I never got a reply from Jacks on what to use, but I also never called them only email.

I'll report back with how it goes once I have the car all back together.

-Robert
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Any update on this?

-pal215