Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Any experienced engine builders in so cal area?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Any experienced engine builders in so cal area?

Hello guys! Some of you might remember my threads about engine bottom end clearances, I bought my internals and my build has been at a halt since I have carried all of my tools to the dealership I work at, and I have been thinking and rethinking about building the bottom end myself, or just having someone experienced do it.

Now I am still not 100% sure if I will buy expensive *** mikes and dial gauges and actually build it myself or sublet it, but I really need some opinions, At first I wanted to contact Tom @tscomptuned or David buschur, but that would cost an arm and a leg to ship my block + all the internals over to them, not to mention they might not like to use my already bought internals (although David uses the manely 100mm billet in his 2.3 rpm motor if I'm not mistaking)

I was wondering if you guys have had personal experiences with shops in and or near (50-100 miles) from the los angeles area to get an engine built by, I want to know about the reputable builders that have specifically built good evo motors. Thank you all in advance
Old Jun 21, 2016, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roni4g63
Hello guys! Some of you might remember my threads about engine bottom end clearances, I bought my internals and my build has been at a halt since I have carried all of my tools to the dealership I work at, and I have been thinking and rethinking about building the bottom end myself, or just having someone experienced do it.

Now I am still not 100% sure if I will buy expensive *** mikes and dial gauges and actually build it myself or sublet it, but I really need some opinions, At first I wanted to contact Tom @tscomptuned or David buschur, but that would cost an arm and a leg to ship my block + all the internals over to them, not to mention they might not like to use my already bought internals (although David uses the manely 100mm billet in his 2.3 rpm motor if I'm not mistaking)

I was wondering if you guys have had personal experiences with shops in and or near (50-100 miles) from the los angeles area to get an engine built by, I want to know about the reputable builders that have specifically built good evo motors. Thank you all in advance
I can't point you in the direction of a reputable builder in this area but I wanted to just perhaps call your attention to this. Your reluctant to ship your parts to proven and reputable builders like TS Comp or Buschur over a few hundred dollars in shipping costs? Shipping can't be that bad. I just had a 5 speed shipped from FL to CA for less than $150. You are right about the parts, they may not agree with them but if they don't agree with them, I'd probably take their advice as they both have a "couple" builds under their belts. I'm Just saying, if it were me and the decision was to find a "reputable" builder in our area (which none come to mind) or send them out to Tom or Buschur, I'd choose to ship. Just my opinion and I'm bored so I thought I would share. Haha.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
yes what you mentioned is correct, I got in touch today with Ty Tom's co worker, and we have been discussing this, shipping is surprisingly cheaper then I thought.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roni4g63
yes what you mentioned is correct, I got in touch today with Ty Tom's co worker, and we have been discussing this, shipping is surprisingly cheaper then I thought.
Good call IMO. Pretty cheap insurance to ensure it's put together correctly. I have heard nothing but good things about Tom's work. Definitely the route I'm going when it comes time for a motor. He also tuned my car and dude knows his stuff. Good luck man!