Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anyone have trouble with the GSC lifters keeping the valves open???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone have trouble with the GSC lifters keeping the valves open???

Hi. I'm currently used the GSC no tick lifters with GSC beehive 5041 springs and retainers and GSC R2 cams with Brain Crower valves.
The valves won't closed shut because the GSC lifters is slightly higher than stock. Which means I might have to ground down my valves. But that's gonna cost money.
I might just put back my oem lifters for this.
So if anyone used these GSC no tick lifters with kinda the same setup, can you let me know how's your car running?

Also I'm currently have a 2.4L stroker 4g64 on my built.

Thank you in advance for everyone input!!!!
Old Aug 9, 2016, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Here is pictures of the oem lifters, Topline and GSC lifters hieght comparison
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have trouble with the GSC lifters keeping the valves open???-image.png  
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Lash adjusters remove all slack in the rocker system by being height adjustable. In service lash adjusters should never be fully extended. Fully extended means the lash adjusters have run out of travel and are doing nothing. So, while the various lash adjusters vary in height that is just a curiosity. The only way the lash adjusters should hold valves open is if they have bottomed out.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Howulikemyevo
Hi. I'm currently used the GSC no tick lifters with GSC beehive 5041 springs and retainers and GSC R2 cams with Brain Crower valves.
The valves won't closed shut because the GSC lifters is slightly higher than stock. Which means I might have to ground down my valves. But that's gonna cost money.
I might just put back my oem lifters for this.
So if anyone used these GSC no tick lifters with kinda the same setup, can you let me know how's your car running?

Also I'm currently have a 2.4L stroker 4g64 on my built.

Thank you in advance for everyone input!!!!
After contacting GSC they explained, "if the valve tip protrusion is within OEM specifications you wont have any issues." The rep also explained that as long as the valve tips are within oem spec we wouldn't have a problem running their lifters.

That being said, I contacted my head builder at Boostin Performance and he told me that I would have issues running GSC lifters with their cylinder head build.

I immediately cleaned out and bled my oem lifters using diesel fuel and decided that i'm going with those instead even if they are older and a bit louder. DO NOT install fully pumped lifters into an aftermarket head assembly (cams, new valves, port work etc.) The service manual only accounted for installing hard, diesel filled lifters using stock valve train clearances and components. Just my opinion, but I prefer installing them empty to eliminate the possibility of bending a valve.

The simple truth is if you can't get your valves to seat completely, you will lose compression and consequently, power.

GSC no tick lifters are great for OEM replacement, but as I am seeing more of these threads appear it has become clear that most head work will change valve tip protrusion.

-pal215

Last edited by Pal215; Aug 9, 2016 at 11:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Howulikemyevo (Aug 10, 2016)
Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
If valve tip protrusion isn't within OEM spec, the head wasn't built right. When the valve and seat are machined and lapped for a valve job, it's almost always going to increase the valve tip protrusion. And the tip of the valve may need to be ground down to get protrusion back within OEM spec (the manual specifies the valve seat is actually supposed to be replaced if the limit is exceeded). So, if your vale tip protrusion isn't with OEM spec, you cylinder head builder skipped a step. These are the values for the measurement from the valve spring seat on the head, to the tip of the valve. You have .5mm (.0196") to play with.

Standard value:
Intake: 49.20 mm (1.9370 inches)
Exhaust: 48.40 mm (1.9055 inches)
Limit
Intake: 49.70 mm (1.9567 inches)
Exhaust: 48.90 mm (1.9252 inches)
Mr Unique (Apr 24, 2019)
Old Aug 9, 2016, 01:30 PM
EvoM Guru

I see.

So does this mean that for most of the cases where valves have stayed open after installing GSC zero tick lifters, it's because their engine builder or setup somehow exceeded the .5mm degree of freedom they have to use when doing the head work? Looks like grinding the valve tip of the valve might be the only way to run these lifters if you're not using oem components.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 01:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You could grind the valve tip, but it's concerning that the manual states to replace the seat if the limit is exceeded. Makes me think that if you too much, or any, material off the valve tip, the rocker arm may be pushing on the keepers or retainer, which wouldn't be good at all.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 02:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah, that would scare the hell outa me. Imagine having a spring pop off a valve at full boost
Old Aug 10, 2016, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pal215
After contacting GSC they explained, "if the valve tip protrusion is within OEM specifications you wont have any issues." The rep also explained that as long as the valve tips are within oem spec we wouldn't have a problem running their lifters.

That being said, I contacted my head builder at Boostin Performance and he told me that I would have issues running GSC lifters with their cylinder head build.

I immediately cleaned out and bled my oem lifters using diesel fuel and decided that i'm going with those instead even if they are older and a bit louder. DO NOT install fully pumped lifters into an aftermarket head assembly (cams, new valves, port work etc.) The service manual only accounted for installing hard, diesel filled lifters using stock valve train clearances and components. Just my opinion, but I prefer installing them empty to eliminate the possibility of bending a valve.

The simple truth is if you can't get your valves to seat completely, you will lose compression and consequently, power.

GSC no tick lifters are great for OEM replacement, but as I am seeing more of these threads appear it has become clear that most head work will change valve tip protrusion.

-pal215
Sounded like I need to go back with the oem lifters. Just to be safe!!!

Too bad GSC didn't even think of this when making this. Even when I used most of my parts for my heads are GSC parts. They don't even work together properly. Let me see if GSC will issued my a refund for my lifters since I can't even use it anymore

Thank you everyone for sharing your inquiries 🍻🍻🍻🍻
Old Aug 10, 2016, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Makes me think that if you too much, or any, material off the valve tip, the rocker arm may be pushing on the keepers or retainer, which wouldn't be good at all.
I struggle to understand this bit, is this because weak springs?

I mean if the valve sits deeper on valve seat that push Valve stem projection over the spec, and then you shorten Valve stem projection to oe specs would it not to travel same distance? and reside same spot as when it left from factory.

I get that you would not want to grind oem valves as material reasons but maybe some aftermarket valves you can shorten?

Edit, yes, now i got what you mean. sometimes it pays to read few times over :S

But maybe aftermarket valves will correct this?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 08:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I wonder what the bled / compressed height is between all the lifters.

some lifters come lubed up from the get-go & need to be bled prior to install, otherwise you will have valves hanging open with new lifters.

take your time & bleed all lifters down, new or used, prior to install.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 06:53 PM
kpr
Evolving Member

Ive never had a problem with GSC lifters, NO MATTER what work is done to the head , it has to be with oem specs.

Was it Boosted Performance or Boosted Tuning? Boosted performance builds some really fast cars, hard to believe no one can use GSC lifter with any head they build.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
These are the values for the measurement from the valve spring seat on the head, to the tip of the valve. You have .5mm (.0196") to play with.

Standard value:
Intake: 49.20 mm (1.9370 inches)
Exhaust: 48.40 mm (1.9055 inches)
Limit
Intake: 49.70 mm (1.9567 inches)
Exhaust: 48.90 mm (1.9252 inches)
What model are these values for? or is this like 4-9 range?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kpr
Ive never had a problem with GSC lifters, NO MATTER what work is done to the head , it has to be with oem specs.

Was it Boosted Performance or Boosted Tuning? Boosted performance builds some really fast cars, hard to believe no one can use GSC lifter with any head they build.
Boostin Performance. The guys with the 7 second DSM and 8 second evo 9. Yeah I know it caught me by surprise as well. The gentlemen just told me that I would have issues running these lifters with their head. One might be able to run them...with issues lol..

It confuses me too, but I will take his advice and stick with OEM.

-pal215
Old Aug 11, 2016, 09:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
Boostin Performance. The guys with the 7 second DSM and 8 second evo 9. Yeah I know it caught me by surprise as well. The gentlemen just told me that I would have issues running these lifters with their head. One might be able to run them...with issues lol..

It confuses me too, but I will take his advice and stick with OEM.

-pal215

We are not opposed to running GSC Lifters in our heads, but we do prefer OEM Lifters if all possible. GSC lifters are a more reasonable and cost effective solution over OEM Lifters if yours need to be replaced.
Howulikemyevo (Aug 12, 2016)

Quick Reply: Anyone have trouble with the GSC lifters keeping the valves open???