Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.4l with mivec, what value of mivec advance represents zero overlap?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
2.4l with mivec, what value of mivec advance represents zero overlap?

Hey guys. On a stock 2.0 mivec I am aware that the total range of movement is 30º by crank angle. When you time and 2.4 with mivec you end up losing some of that advance. I believe 3.75º(by cam degrees) which is 7.5 crank degrees. What I want to know so I can tune to my intent, is what value in the stock ecu reflects zero overlap with stock camshafts? Is it the -1.2 or the 0? Also, do I just add the 7.5 degrees to the no overlap value to bring this back to the point of no overlap?

ok, so my next quandary is, I'm using a vipec. If I enter 0 in the vipec, does it stay at zero crank degrees, or does it ride by friction back to minimum advance?

please correct my assumptions as needed. The cam:crank math isn't something I am intimately familiar with.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
Hey guys. On a stock 2.0 mivec I am aware that the total range of movement is 30º by crank angle. When you time and 2.4 with mivec you end up losing some of that advance. I believe 3.75º(by cam degrees) which is 7.5 crank degrees. What I want to know so I can tune to my intent, is what value in the stock ecu reflects zero overlap with stock camshafts? Is it the -1.2 or the 0? Also, do I just add the 7.5 degrees to the no overlap value to bring this back to the point of no overlap?

ok, so my next quandary is, I'm using a vipec. If I enter 0 in the vipec, does it stay at zero crank degrees, or does it ride by friction back to minimum advance?

please correct my assumptions as needed. The cam:crank math isn't something I am intimately familiar with.
no adding... cam timing with mivec is the same regardless of the initial timing of the mivec cam wheel, because the cam floats in the wheel and is referenced by the sensor on the end of the cam... Having the cam wheel off at TDC just means you have some less movement in one direction..