Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Opinion on oilpan upgrade

Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Opinion on oilpan upgrade

Do anybody run with a baffled oilpan is there any pluses of running it over stock pan like performance feels like they say in their descriptions?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rome97
Do anybody run with a baffled oilpan is there any pluses of running it over stock pan like performance feels like they say in their descriptions?
I'm not sure a baffled pan is ran to increase performance, the purpose of running one would be to keep the oil where it needs to be around the pickup and for added capacity.

There are quite a few threads about the different pans that are offered for the evo. (Buscher, Moroso, Racefab, Kaj Custom Pans, etc)

The following users liked this post:
Rome97 (Jan 4, 2017)
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:29 PM

oooooh cause bushurs says increases tq. and hp thru power band just wanted to know if any seen or felt a difference
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ah I see, That's probably only if you run conventional oil.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 01:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Im gonna say if your not doing auto cross or courses, i think stock is good enough.

Although the idea of more oil capacity seems legit.
Dont think youll need it.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Rome97
oooooh cause bushurs says increases tq. and hp thru power band just wanted to know if any seen or felt a difference
That is a lie if it actually says that.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Where does it say this anyway? I guess technically if the oil is baffled and contained in the pan vs finding it way upwards it could free up some power but in reality its not something you'd ever notice. I mean a dry sump would certainly free up some power but that's not what were talking about here...

At the end of the day people upgrade their pans in an effort to have more reliable and consistent oil pressure. If you free up some hp as well then great but it certainly shouldnt be the motivator for said modification.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 03:05 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
We make our own pans and I'm happy with my results, so far. The system has nearly 7qts, which I feel is necessary for a turbo car. My oil pressure has been excellent during testing so far. I highly recommend a better pan, if you get serious about track days.

Mine, before paint:

Old Jan 5, 2017, 03:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Kaj, That pan looks nice . That angle makes it look pretty tall.

Can you grab a picture of it on the car from below at ground level? I'd like to get an idea on ground clearance. Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2017, 05:09 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Abacus
Kaj, That pan looks nice . That angle makes it look pretty tall.

Can you grab a picture of it on the car from below at ground level? I'd like to get an idea on ground clearance. Thanks

It's hard to get under there, but even the down pipe is lower.

Old Jan 5, 2017, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Nice pan kaj.

What do those run? I love how you use the stock pan to keep that superior seal.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 07:08 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
Nice pan kaj.

What do those run? I love how you use the stock pan to keep that superior seal.
They aren't formally for sale, but if we did, they would be a lot LOL. I wanted a Race Fab, but didn't wanna mess with shipping, waiting, etc. so we did our own. The shop that does all the fab work is legit and builds cars for Shift Sector Events, Horsepower T.V. and a few other events. I've seen pans he's done for them and Time Attack cars, so I approached him for a bespoke Evo pan. The guy that does the welding says it was a b**ch to do and we would only do them in batches of three to make it worth it. Plus, I do the driving out to the boonies to drop off, pick up, and ship them so I'm good with not doing all that for a single pan
I get people here and there, at different times, but never three at one time. He says $500 plus return shipping. They are that hard to do (due to OEM material paint from the factory. Cliffnotes: wear a gas mask LOL). I wouldn't be making anything, so I'm just passing the word, though He would have to pay me for gas and plus a couple Red Bulls.
If temp sensor bungs are sent with the pan, they are installed for free. Turn around time from receipt is approx 2-4 business days.

Is extra oil and baffling worth $500? For some of us: yes, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone not needing it. I had just finished building my car; including the motor... I took the extra insurance. Well that, and the local track has a long, sweeping right hander that you take at about 90mph LOL

Here's a link to the finished pan, if anyone is curious:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t-oil-pan.html

Basically the Race-Fab type pan I wanted, but with a quick turn around and built locally (Fresno, CA).

sorry for the novel. I just can't say enough about the pan and the shop that did the work. I'm a loyal customer, see my sig.

Using the OEM pan was a no-brainer because no other pan seems to seal the same.
The following users liked this post:
4b11slayer (Jan 5, 2017)
Old Jan 5, 2017, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Income tax time, I know what I'm going to do, add capacity !!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:49 AM

Income tax is gonna be very well needed this boost season
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
They aren't formally for sale, but if we did, they would be a lot LOL. I wanted a Race Fab, but didn't wanna mess with shipping, waiting, etc. so we did our own. The shop that does all the fab work is legit and builds cars for Shift Sector Events, Horsepower T.V. and a few other events. I've seen pans he's done for them and Time Attack cars, so I approached him for a bespoke Evo pan. The guy that does the welding says it was a b**ch to do and we would only do them in batches of three to make it worth it. Plus, I do the driving out to the boonies to drop off, pick up, and ship them so I'm good with not doing all that for a single pan
I get people here and there, at different times, but never three at one time. He says $500 plus return shipping. They are that hard to do (due to OEM material paint from the factory. Cliffnotes: wear a gas mask LOL). I wouldn't be making anything, so I'm just passing the word, though He would have to pay me for gas and plus a couple Red Bulls.
If temp sensor bungs are sent with the pan, they are installed for free. Turn around time from receipt is approx 2-4 business days.

Is extra oil and baffling worth $500? For some of us: yes, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone not needing it. I had just finished building my car; including the motor... I took the extra insurance. Well that, and the local track has a long, sweeping right hander that you take at about 90mph LOL

Here's a link to the finished pan, if anyone is curious:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t-oil-pan.html

Basically the Race-Fab type pan I wanted, but with a quick turn around and built locally (Fresno, CA).

sorry for the novel. I just can't say enough about the pan and the shop that did the work. I'm a loyal customer, see my sig.

Using the OEM pan was a no-brainer because no other pan seems to seal the same.
Will be looking into this in the future fashoo

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinion on oilpan upgrade