Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Going to 71HTA on my 05 MR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 09:41 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC

i made 360/360 on hks 264 cams on 91oct oem injectors, oem tme turbo, 21psi @ 7500rpm., SD, no maf on 3"exh, 10.9 afr @ 7500rpm.
Impressive. I was only able to squeak out 333whp on 91/Greddy easy cam/1000cc injectors/stock IX turbo/MIVEC/MAF/
23ish PSI
Old Jan 12, 2017, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Can you post a pic of your custom exhaust?
what magnaflow muffler p/n are you using?
What o2 housing are you running?

I completely understand about keeping the system quiet.

if your on stock cams, you will be close on oem injectors.

i made 360/360 on hks 264 cams on 91oct oem injectors, oem tme turbo, 21psi @ 7500rpm., SD, no maf on 3"exh, 10.9 afr @ 7500rpm.

The 71hta can move some air, just depends on your target boost.
Gonna keep the boost to 23 psi flat hopefully. I dont have pics of the exhaust, but it is custom 2.5 mandrel bent downpipe, wrapped with DEI warp .. the HFC is 2.5 " from Ultimate Racing, I use the stock mid pipe and then the axle back is 2.5" with Oval Magna flow mufler. the rear section has a large radius bend to the muffler to reduce turbulence. Magna flow tip on the muffler. It is pretty quiet except WOT.

The intake is Amsoil with the adapter. Some noise from that LOL.

Yes stock cams, but with walbro 255 and stock injectors. Never seen more than 90% IDC before on the O5 MR turbo.

We just ordered the FP 71 HTA with 84 mm compressor cover, 84 mm intake pipe, FP oil line to turbo and a new Mishimoto oil cooler. I ve been using that style since 2006 with no issues -10AN fittings to housing.

Since she is a 6spd im keeping it well below the 350 TQ, 350 whp threshold

Last edited by WRC-LVR; Jan 13, 2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 05:08 PM
kaj

Let us know how that oil cooler works out. I have only experience with MAP's B&M kit and it seemed to be less efficient than stock.
You will need to cut the FP intake to fit. You will need to trim the DV section as short as possible, while still fitting a clamp, and you will also need to trim from the turbo inlet side. They way they come, the DV is pushed up and into the upper radiator hose.
Any particular reason you went with an FP oil line?
I feel your pain on the 6spd. I'm around 450whp, but having to limit torque to 350 or less. It's a shame, really. The car wants to do so much more haha (different turbo, though).
Old Jan 13, 2017, 01:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i ran both the 71hta in std cover & the 84mm surge port cover.

That turbo is loud with the surge ported 84mm cover.

Granted it was on a 2.4L; yeah i know super responsive / ran out of breath, but i gave it a try quickly & sold it for minimal / no loss.

Regardless, the 84mm cover on the 71hta is louder than my hta-grn with the same surge ported cover. Im only telling you, since you are trying to keep things quite with the exhaust.

you mention running the 84mm pipe, my guess is the your oem maf is on the shelf in the garage... so it will be louder than the oem turbo for certain.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 02:55 PM
kaj

The FP intake fits the MAF, so he may still be using it.

I had the standard cover on my 71 and the smaller VIII hot side and ran it on the stock intake with an open filter. Almost the most restrictive setup possible LOL. Worked flawlessly. You should really like yours. And +1 on it not being quiet. My green is kinda loud. If the 71 makes even more noise as mentioned above, well....you won't be sneaking up on anyone.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
I too run a 71hta. I advise you to just run the OEM turbo lines. FP lines are not needed
Old Jan 13, 2017, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Let us know how that oil cooler works out. I have only experience with MAP's B&M kit and it seemed to be less efficient than stock.
You will need to cut the FP intake to fit. You will need to trim the DV section as short as possible, while still fitting a clamp, and you will also need to trim from the turbo inlet side. They way they come, the DV is pushed up and into the upper radiator hose.
Any particular reason you went with an FP oil line?
I feel your pain on the 6spd. I'm around 450whp, but having to limit torque to 350 or less. It's a shame, really. The car wants to do so much more haha (different turbo, though).
Really good information on the intake pipe. Thanks I'll give that to James. The Mishimoto oil cooler is a stacked plate type with -10AN fittings. 6" high by 13 wide. the one on the car is installed with the fittings on the bottom to allow oil to drain better during changes.
Somewhere I read that the FP oil line has a filter in it. Is this correct? Just in case something comes thru from the oil system..
Old Jan 13, 2017, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
The FP intake fits the MAF, so he may still be using it.

I had the standard cover on my 71 and the smaller VIII hot side and ran it on the stock intake with an open filter. Almost the most restrictive setup possible LOL. Worked flawlessly. You should really like yours. And +1 on it not being quiet. My green is kinda loud. If the 71 makes even more noise as mentioned above, well....you won't be sneaking up on anyone.
Yes I use the stock MAf and open filter ( Amsoil and Vibrant adapter ) GLad to hear the intake tube fits up to the MAF. Noted for the other fitment issues for that tube from your other post.

The exhaust is not real loud, the intake does make noise already and a nice whistle and recirc BOV noise on lift. What the 84 cover and intake tube will sound like remains to be seen. I can try to take a sound clip once everything gets together and we finish the tune

With the 10.5 hotside housing, it wont spool as fast as your 9.8, but probably just as fast or faster than the original O5 MR turbo that died. Or im hoping so anyways.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

i ran both the 71hta in std cover & the 84mm surge port cover.

That turbo is loud with the surge ported 84mm cover.

Granted it was on a 2.4L; yeah i know super responsive / ran out of breath, but i gave it a try quickly & sold it for minimal / no loss.

Regardless, the 84mm cover on the 71hta is louder than my hta-grn with the same surge ported cover. Im only telling you, since you are trying to keep things quite with the exhaust.

you mention running the 84mm pipe, my guess is the your oem maf is on the shelf in the garage... so it will be louder than the oem turbo for certain.
HAHA LOL we drove Evos, they get noticed just standing still LOL Seriously, I appreciate the advice. I have been in many evos with a 3 inch exhaust and they are way louder than my car, including droning at certain rpms on the highway. No thanks to that !! Intake noise is mostly under acceleration. Steady state throttle you mostly get a little whistle and a very quiet siphoning sound from the front.

One thing I have done is to install some black 1/2 inch closed cell foam ( Home Depot ) along the windsheild right at the front of the dash inside the car. Gotta shove it in there well, once that is done you cant hardly tell it is there. But it really cuts down on the noise from the front of the car and if you have a Blox mount on the cross member, it cuts down on the vibration transmitted to the dash, big time

Best 6 bucks i ever spent
Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:34 AM
kaj

I also had the TiAl wheel. INSTANT spool. It was so bad *** LOL.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I also had the TiAl wheel. INSTANT spool. It was so bad *** LOL.
If I am not mistaken the Evo 8 TiAL CHRA and the 71HTA wheel are different.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by deylag
There was definitely an option to use the TiAL in a 71hta unit. I'm not sure the means of which they did it, but I recall seeing it.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:58 PM
kaj

FP had a few HTA71 CHRAs with the TiAl wheels. I bought the last one. It was super cheap, too LOL. With that CHRA, the 9.8 turbine, and OEM comp cover, it made really good power and spooled like stock. It was too much fun.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
http://shop.boostinperformance.com/p...tial-turbo.htm

Well this is what I found. Just looks like an OEM turbo-charger supercore that seems to be found on the 6.

While FP has this on clearance

http://www.forcedperformance.net/PROD/EVO8TiCHRA.html

Which I don't understand why the Ti-AL 71HTA (Evo 8) fits 4-9 but the other supercore only fits 4-8.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 02:27 AM
kaj

http://shop.boostinperformance.com/p...tial-turbo.htm

Well this is what I found. Just looks like an OEM turbo-charger supercore that seems to be found on the 6.

While FP has this on clearance

http://www.forcedperformance.net/PROD/EVO8TiCHRA.html

Which I don't understand why the Ti-AL 71HTA (Evo 8) fits 4-9 but the other supercore only fits 4-8.
The bottom link is FP's VIII TiAl CHRA, not the HTA71 TiAl CHRA.
The HTA 71 TiAl CHRA did not fit the IX comp housing, only the VIII. It did, however,fit both turbine housings, IIRC.

The top link looks exactly like what I had. If it's the same thing, I'd pony up $500 for it; that is a STEAL FOR the performance.
I already emailed them!

Quick Reply: Going to 71HTA on my 05 MR