Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Aftermarket rad +stock fan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket rad +stock fan

Hey guys, I know that the mishimoto evo 7/8/9 radiator allows for the stock 8 fan to be used and have read in some places that the koyo (48mm “HH” core) rad allows for it. Can anybody confirm if the koyo fits the stock fan or let me know if any other fans, in that price range, can retain the stock fan. Thanks a bunch!

Update: "I went with the mishimoto rad and used my stock fan/shroud. Was skeptical whether it would fit or not for a few reasons. I have a 9 turbo with the larger FP 84mm cover which sat already less than an inch from the shroud and my custom intake was already resting against the fan control module. After a test fit I was able to fit everything by 1) grinding about 1/4+ off the shroud and 2) removing one of the fan control module bolts and swinging it downwards. Also the stock upper IC elbow took some tweaking and is a bit close to the fan blades but shouldn't be an issue "

Last edited by evo8tanner; Feb 2, 2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 01:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Hey, Haste makes a full Triple Core Radiator for cheaper than Mishimoto. I had to go with an aftermarket fan, I believe it is a Mishimoto thin fan on the inside of the radiator between it and the turbo. Any after market fan can run on the stock fan control. You just have to hard wire it in. I spliced mine into the stock wire harness and have had seamless/flawless fan control.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the info. I prefer to keep the stock fan and throw in a new rad really fast but I will look into that. Haven't heard of haste
Old Jan 23, 2017, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Look for what is described as an exact OEM replacement. Don't go too cheap or risk getting thin metal.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 09:52 PM

Ok I will search further into descriptions for that. What do you label as too cheap? Your thoughts about mishimoto? Thanks for the input
Old Jan 24, 2017, 03:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Haste may be couple hundred cheaper than Mishimoto, but I have had no problems. Mine has been in for 30K, and had no issues, cools well, and is stock replacement. I only got the slim fan because of an over-sized snail...lol.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:49 AM

Anybody running a koyo in there evo 8 with stock fan? hows the clearance?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8tanner
What do you label as too cheap?
Less than $150 is my suggestion.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:07 AM

oh i agree. I'm leaning towards the 7/8/9 mishimoto rad because I've heard a lot about good fitment with the stock fan.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

I have the Koyorad radiator, and it fits no problem on my evo ix, and the stock fan bolts right on just like on the stock radiator. Clearance is fine, although it's a thicker radiator, there is slightly less clearance but it fits fine on the stock turbo, but I can't speak for other turbo setups. It's definitely a nice quality radiator and it's probably more efficient than stock. I'm happy with it.
The top screws that hold the overflow line hangers have a different thread than stock, so you just need to buy 2 small bolts.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 03:13 PM

Thanks for that info. I went with the mishimoto rad and used my stock fan/shroud. Was skeptical whether it would fit or not for a few reasons. I have a 9 turbo with the larger FP 84mm cover which sat already less than an inch from the shroud and my custom intake was already resting against the fan control module. After a test fit I was able to fit everything by 1) grinding about 1/4+ off the shroud and 2) removing one of the fan control module bolts and swinging it downwards. Also the stock upper IC elbow took some tweaking and is a bit close to the fan blades but shouldn't be an issue
Old Feb 4, 2017, 08:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8tanner
Anybody running a koyo in there evo 8 with stock fan? hows the clearance?
Fitment is perfectly fine on mine.