Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transmission oil cooler evo ix 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:06 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
those are not gear pumps, better get a gear pump for that use..
I'm not sure what a gear pump is, but these are for rear differentials with seriously high temp ratings. I'm sure they would suffice.

**edit for specs:
flow rate 1.0- 2.0 GPM and up to 50 PSI
- weight: 3.75 lbs
- Self-priming and can be run dry without harm
- Incorporated non fluid contact bypass valve (50 psi) prevents over pressure damage (discharge not differential pressure)
- 285F temp rating

Tilton is the same with a 265° temp rating.

but I like your $70 price MUCH better.

Last edited by kaj; Apr 5, 2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:07 PM
kaj

this one IIRC... but I will re check tommorow...
isn't that on the bell housing?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
gear pump is just like the oil pump on 4g63.. i.e. uses 2 counter rotating gears to flow oil. Tilton is a diaphragm pump.... btw I bought both.. Unfortunately I am overseas so hard to sell tilton in the US..

Here is TIlton (up to 480 lph) vs small 200 lph Marco that I will use for the gearbox vs BIG 1320 lph Marco that I will use for something else..
Name:  DSC_0399.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  142.3 KB

I deliberately bought the smallest one because I think it will be enough and it draws only 3 A.
The SST cooling kits I have installed from SSP on evoX use one size larger pump and I have seen similar MARCO pumps on GT-Rs used for gearbox cooling too.... those were larger still.
I have seen very expensive gear pumps available in the US and searched a bit only to find this general pump manufacturer in italy making this stuff for use in big yachts at very good prices. Only thing to bear in mind is to check that the pump is made for pumping hot oil as the internal seals will differ...

As for the hole in the gearbox... I assure you I can see gears trough it.. even though the pic is cra% ..
Name:  DSC_0397.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  133.3 KB
Old Apr 6, 2017, 07:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
That must be a six speed. The speed sensor is in the six speed spot.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

of course it is.. pulled it out of my car..

damn thing about 5spd is that is doesnt have all these nice extra holes..
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
subbed
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:31 AM
EvoM Guru

of course it is.. pulled it out of my car..

damn thing about 5spd is that is doesnt have all these nice extra holes..
TRE makes an oil cooler adapter plate.

http://professionalawesome.com/produ...adapter-plate/
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

I found a US supplier for MARCO pumps.. maybe someone can check if the prices in the US are also ok..

http://www.southerncalmarine.com/pro...ps/up2oil.html
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
TRE makes an oil cooler adapter plate.

http://professionalawesome.com/produ...adapter-plate/
I just choked onthe price...
I think I will just weld on a 10 AN fitting.. my 5spd box is in pieces anyhow.. Using drain and fill holes is ok also.. and when changing oil, for filling I always use reverse sensor hole anyhow..
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:50 AM
EvoM Guru

I just choked onthe price...
I think I will just weld on a 10 AN fitting.. my 5spd box is in pieces anyhow.. Using drain and fill holes is ok also.. and when changing oil, for filling I always use reverse sensor hole anyhow..
The price is high, but it does more than give you cooler ports. It also has a vertical wall that sticks up into the trans which directs the oil being slung off of the reverse idler directly onto 4th gear to help 4th gear live longer.

And that's funny, that's how I started filling transmissions a while ago. So easy. Just dump 3qts in and your done. No pumping, no mess.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:21 AM
kaj

I found a US supplier for MARCO pumps.. maybe someone can check if the prices in the US are also ok..

http://www.southerncalmarine.com/pro...ps/up2oil.html
Per Google, pricing seems to be around $130 plus shipping and tax. Not too bad.

That must be a six speed.
Hence the thread title?

gear pump is just like the oil pump on 4g63.. i.e. uses 2 counter rotating gears to flow oil. Tilton is a diaphragm pump....
OOOH. Not what I was thinking when I read "gear pump" LOL.

And that's funny, that's how I started filling transmissions a while ago. So easy. Just dump 3qts in and your done. No pumping, no mess.
And I've been doing it the hard way all this time. HAHAHAHa
Old Apr 7, 2017, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
How many laps are you guys running at time? I feel like 3-7 hot laps in an HPDE setting isn't going to kill the trans.
Personal experience here...

guessing 330whp (20psi on 71HTA)

20 minutes/hour on track, the transmission will be fine

30 minutes/hour on track, 4th gear will break

My transmission oil cooler installation is probably up near $800 when you factor in the gear pump I used (not a diaphragm pump), the lines, fittings, electrical components and the oil cooler.

Here is a good gear pump: https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm

It looks like they have added a smaller pump since I purchased mine. I believe I have the 03-1034 with the check valve.

The electrical for it will also take a bit of work as you need an on/off switch (and I wanted a pressure switch to a light to verify the pump is outputting pressure). I am trying to be clean about it and pin it into an unused slot on the inside junction block wiring harness connection but I haven't found a power pin yet that works (none of the ACD/ECU pins work, I have them all for Evo 8 and 9). Pin 5 on C-214 harness goes to an unused fuse drop (fuse 4) from a power bus that will work. I might just end up swallowing the bullet and buying a used wiring harness for $125 to get a single pin.

You will have a hard time finding a place for the pump without relocating the ACD.

Last edited by nollij; Apr 7, 2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by nollij
Personal experience here...

guessing 330whp (20psi on 71HTA)

20 minutes/hour on track, the transmission will be fine

30 minutes/hour on track, 4th gear will break

My transmission oil cooler installation is probably up near $800 when you factor in the gear pump I used (not a diaphragm pump), the lines, fittings, electrical components and the oil cooler.

The electrical for it will also take a bit of work as you need an on/off switch (and I wanted a pressure switch to a light to verify the pump is outputting pressure). I am trying to be clean about it and pin it into an unused slot on the inside junction block wiring harness connection but I haven't found a power pin yet that works (none of the ACD/ECU pins work, I have them all for Evo 8 and 9). Pin 5 on C-214 harness goes to an unused fuse drop (fuse 4) from a power bus that will work. I might just end up swallowing the bullet and buying a used wiring harness for $125 to get a single pin.

You will have a hard time finding a place for the pump without relocating the ACD.
really that different for 10 minutes on the track? how much torque are you producing & what fluid are you running? I'm making probably 320hp, 300lbft of torque, seems fine so far with 20 minute sessions, not much metal shavings coming out of the trans.

that said, my 6 speed has actually been rebuilt by Jon@TRE (https://www.teamrip.com/TRE_6SPEED_E...20SERVICE.html)

shot peened the gearset, more oil passage ways for more oil flow, etc. etc. - have any of you guys done this first? I'm also using redline 75w85
Old Apr 7, 2017, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
really that different for 10 minutes on the track? how much torque are you producing & what fluid are you running? I'm making probably 320hp, 300lbft of torque, seems fine so far with 20 minute sessions, not much metal shavings coming out of the trans.

that said, my 6 speed has actually been rebuilt by Jon@TRE (https://www.teamrip.com/TRE_6SPEED_E...20SERVICE.html)

shot peened the gearset, more oil passage ways for more oil flow, etc. etc. - have any of you guys done this first? I'm also using redline 75w85
I don't really know exact numbers because I don't really care. I am just guesstimating on the psi of the turbo and the cams, parts, etc. Using either Diaqueen or 50/50 Redline MT-90 with LWG.

I have the built 6-speed from Shep now and a spare, fresh 6-speed in a box in the shop.

But consider that 20 minutes/hour is 33% run-time with 67% down time. 30 minutes/hour is 50% run-time. So, quite an appreciable difference when you consider that the transmission is getting hotter and hotter during the run-time and needs that down time to cool off.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:36 AM
EvoM Guru

I can see the extra 10 minutes doing it. Trans probably gets to a reasonable 200-250ish in the first 10-15 minutes, after 20 minutes, it heat soaks thoroughly and just starts the thermal runaway process.

Quick Reply: Transmission oil cooler evo ix 6 speed