Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Funny noise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
FYI Compression was 155/160/160/175 when I drove the car. The guy who bought it, for cheap tried selling it to me like 5 times. Him and his brother lol..
lol yeah he's just traded my sti for a skyline he's trying to sell that but it has no paperwork
Old Apr 8, 2017, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
FYI I know the owner I looked at it with just did timing belt job I think maybe they didnt phase the balance shaft right, sounded like this on my old evo. Sounds different but worth checking. I think if its a rod it would do it low RPM too. Mine did it about 3krpm and up
Old Apr 8, 2017, 06:12 PM

FYI I know the owner I looked at it with just did timing belt job I think maybe they didnt phase the balance shaft right, sounded like this on my old evo. Sounds different but worth checking. I think if its a rod it would do it low RPM too. Mine did it about 3krpm and up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mj0JbXjuNw
thank you for the advice I'll let the guy know about that as well, it's at the shop so Monday they are gonna let me know what's wrong I will keep you posted
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joey_Diesel
thank you for the advice I'll let the guy know about that as well, it's at the shop so Monday they are gonna let me know what's wrong I will keep you posted
Cool, im very interested. Good luck!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 05:37 AM

Cool, im very interested. Good luck!
Good news found the problem, bad news it has a spun rod bearing they found shavings in the oil filter so gonna have to go get it fixed im going to take it to kt motoring in chatsworth today so the fun starts
Old Apr 11, 2017, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joey_Diesel
Good news found the problem, bad news it has a spun rod bearing they found shavings in the oil filter so gonna have to go get it fixed im going to take it to kt motoring in chatsworth today so the fun starts
Kt is my goto shop! and Phil is a great tuner, Sorry to hear bud but best of luck!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If its Evo8 ´03 it could also be the Rear balance shaft inner Bearing.
That sounds the same when revving....
Fixing isnt easy....since there is to much gone to install an new bearing only ( also needed fo Balance shaft delete to cover the Oil Hole )

Had found these spun an few times only in the USDM 03 engines...( no ACD Cars )
(never happened in the EDM or JDM 03s....)

i didnt have any clue why the spun, some of these were still on the Factory Timing belts and never opened....
But many were used on the German Highways in high rpm in 5th gear for longer time..
some had only 30 000 miles on the odo ( That was back in 2006 and 2007 , Army or Air Force deployed to Germany)
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI I know the owner I looked at it with just did timing belt job I think maybe they didnt phase the balance shaft right, sounded like this on my old evo. Sounds different but worth checking. I think if its a rod it would do it low RPM too. Mine did it about 3krpm and up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mj0JbXjuNw
Hmm, I have that same sound at 4000+ rpm. I felt it soon after a timing/serpentine belt change from a shop.

Should I take it back/another shop? I was hoping it was something like a wastegate that needed adjusting, or loose heat shield. This sounds a bit more complicated.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fuzzycuffs
Hmm, I have that same sound at 4000+ rpm. I felt it soon after a timing/serpentine belt change from a shop.

Should I take it back/another shop? I was hoping it was something like a wastegate that needed adjusting, or loose heat shield. This sounds a bit more complicated.
ITs fairly simple, theres videos on youtube, Id take it back and tell them to fix it.