Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Funny noise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny noise

Got a wierd noise from the engine or maybe the manifold just wondering if anyone has heard this before I take it to the shop tomorrow. https://youtu.be/lUFepN_ykIY
Old Apr 6, 2017, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Joey_Diesel
Got a wierd noise from the engine or maybe the manifold just wondering if anyone has heard this before I take it to the shop tomorrow. https://youtu.be/lUFepN_ykIY
Good Lord hopefully it's the flywheel loose
Have you had anything done to the car recently?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Evo__Lee
Good Lord hopefully it's the flywheel loose
Have you had anything done to the car recently?
Its all stock it only happens if I press the gas fast. I can drive it normally and after like 3000-3500rpm it will make the rattle I was thinking maybe my 02 housing bold came out or hole in the manifold I'm crossing my fingers I'll fine out tomorrow
Old Apr 6, 2017, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

could be a lot of things.. downpipe vibrating against something etc etc... just drop it off to your shop as planned hopefully its something minor bro..
Old Apr 6, 2017, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Its all stock it only happens if I press the gas fast. I can drive it normally and after like 3000-3500rpm it will make the rattle I was thinking maybe my 02 housing bold came out or hole in the manifold I'm crossing my fingers I'll fine out tomorrow
Put her on jack stands and remove that undertray if you still have it and while the engine is cold tug away and inspect bro... and if everything is in line as far as no bolts missing etc only thing in that area is the o2 housing downpipe and manifold external wise
Double check the manifold heat shield for looseness and the shield that covers the O2 housing. also the wastegate arm to the turbo could be broke off or the wastegate flapper inside the turbo could be the culprit.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 09:47 PM

Put her on jack stands and remove that undertray if you still have it and while the engine is cold tug away and inspect bro... and if everything is in line as far as no bolts missing etc only thing in that area is the o2 housing downpipe and manifold external wise
Double check the manifold heat shield for looseness and the shield that covers the O2 housing. also the wastegate arm to the turbo could be broke off or the wastegate flapper inside the turbo could be the culprit.
thanks for the advice but Im too exhausted from work to be doing that. I have a good friend the owns a exhaust shop so hopefully after work tomorrow I can find the culprit. I'll update you on what I find out tomorrow thanks again appreciate it.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the advice but Im too exhausted from work to be doing that. I have a good friend the owns a exhaust shop so hopefully after work tomorrow I can find the culprit. I'll update you on what I find out tomorrow thanks again appreciate it.
NP Bro Ill be on the lookout
Old Apr 7, 2017, 06:28 PM

NP Bro Ill be on the lookout
little update* everything exhaust and manifold wise checked out okay so seems to be internal. My friend knew a owner of a Mitsubishi shop so gave him a call and he was nice enough to take the car home for the weekend and find the culprit may be a couple days since he was busy. But he said sounds either a rod knock or loose flywheel. I'll keep a update when I find out more
Old Apr 7, 2017, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
man, it sounds like rod knock to me but hopefully it's something stupid.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
OMG, you just bought this car didnt you? in california!
Blue by you, aftermarket clutch, Wing is all painted, roof has some faded spots on it?

I saw this car in person and drove it I can tell you it didnt do that. I saw it few months back and its been through an owner since then who tried to flip it (unless its you and you decided to keep it)

Last edited by 4G63_EVO; Apr 7, 2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

little update* everything exhaust and manifold wise checked out okay so seems to be internal. My friend knew a owner of a Mitsubishi shop so gave him a call and he was nice enough to take the car home for the weekend and find the culprit may be a couple days since he was busy. But he said sounds either a rod knock or loose flywheel. I'll keep a update when I find out more
Yeah hopefully its the flywheel as mentioned the first time... having a rod go or spinning a bearing sucks but at least there isnt a hole in the block so look at the bright side of getting built short block best case scenario
Old Apr 7, 2017, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
Blue by you, aftermarket clutch, Wing is all painted, roof has some faded spots on it?

I saw this car in person and drove it I can tell you it didnt do that. I saw it few months back and its been through an owner since then who tried to flip it (unless its you and you decided to keep it)
haha you nailed it man when I bought it it made the noise but very very slightly sounded like the piping echo nothing crazy but just got worse and worse I'll let you know what it is
Old Apr 7, 2017, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO

and also yeah it was a different owner because I traded him my sti and he is trying to flip that as well crazy guy
Old Apr 7, 2017, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
man, it sounds like rod knock to me but hopefully it's something stupid.
i really hope so man I'll find out in a couple days
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
and also yeah it was a different owner because I traded him my sti and he is trying to flip that as well crazy guy
FYI Compression was 155/160/160/175 when I drove the car. The guy who bought it, for cheap tried selling it to me like 5 times. Him and his brother lol..