Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Injectors needed with HKS 272?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Injectors needed with HKS 272?

Hey everyone...

Quick question. Are upgraded injectors needed with HKS 272 cams? I've heard some people say "no you don't need injectors with 272s" and the opposite... What should I do? Thanks!
Old May 18, 2017, 06:04 AM
bsh
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That depends on how much hp you are looking for and if you are running E85. Stock 550cc injectors should be ok up to 400 engine hp running regular fuel. E85 require about 30-35% more fuel.
Old May 18, 2017, 06:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63_Crazy
Hey everyone...

Quick question. Are upgraded injectors needed with HKS 272 cams? I've heard some people say "no you don't need injectors with 272s" and the opposite... What should I do? Thanks!
If youre doing cams, you might has well plan on larger injectors (1000cc min). This way it will give you some room to grow.

If you have E85 availability, its a must. Try and add all your bolt-ons at one time to cut down on the tuning $$cycles$$
Old May 18, 2017, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bsh
That depends on how much hp you are looking for and if you are running E85. Stock 550cc injectors should be ok up to 400 engine hp running regular fuel. E85 require about 30-35% more fuel.
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
If youre doing cams, you might has well plan on larger injectors (1000cc min). This way it will give you some room to grow.

If you have E85 availability, its a must. Try and add all your bolt-ons at one time to cut down on the tuning $$cycles$$
I'm not looking for that much hp.... I am looking for around 350 whp and then i'll be fine....
Old May 18, 2017, 08:03 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I'm not looking for that much hp.... I am looking for around 350 whp and then i'll be fine....
Not going to get there on stock injectors. Got to up size those injectors
Old May 18, 2017, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Having run the HKS 272's on stock injectors in the past on 93 octane I will say they worked fine as long as you have installed a Walbro 255.

Personally if you're actually are planning to stay at around 350whp then save your money. The biggest decision you need to make is in regards to what kind of power youre hoping for and what fuel you plan to run in the car. Unless youre tune is on kill mode the stock injectors work fine with the stock turbo assuming you upgraded the fuel pump and assuming you stay on normal pump fuel. The second you consider e85 or much higer boost applications thats when injectors are needed.

So while its one of those things that gives you room for growth, if you never intend to make more power then leave well enough along IMO.
Old May 18, 2017, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=heel2toe;11740255]Having run the HKS 272's on stock injectors in the past on 93 octane I will say they worked fine as long as you have installed a Walbro 255.

Personally if you're actually are planning to stay at around 350whp then save your money. The biggest decision you need to make is in regards to what kind of power youre hoping for and what fuel you plan to run in the car. Unless youre tune is on kill mode the stock injectors work fine with the stock turbo assuming you upgraded the fuel pump and assuming you stay on normal pump fuel. The second you consider e85 or much higer boost applications thats when injectors are needed.

So while its one of those things that gives you room for growth, if you never intend to make more power then leave well enough along IMO

​​​​​​​Yea, I'm not going E85... I'm staying on a pump 93 tune. I'm getting a walbro 255 soon, so hopefully that would be sufficient with a LICP, tbe, ported exhaust mani, tune, and 272 cams. How much HP do u think I'm looking at once everythings all together?
Old May 18, 2017, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

OK yeah I wouldnt bother with the injectors then. The car wont make more power with them in your case. That'll only be the case if they were limiting you which wont be happening here.

As for power I wouldn't get too hung up on a number but you should be able to make around 350whp with that setup depending on how much boost you end up running. Im not sure if thats your full mods list but if so I'd look into some form of boost control to add a few more pounds of boost.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
My car made around 350hp on 93 octane fuel and ran out of injector with the factory injectors. I believe boost was around 23lbs on the factory EVO VIII turbo.

Car had basic boltons:
-HKS 272 cams
-Intake/FMIC/Exhaust
-Walbro 255hp
Old May 18, 2017, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
OK yeah I wouldnt bother with the injectors then. The car wont make more power with them in your case. That'll only be the case if they were limiting you which wont be happening here.

As for power I wouldn't get too hung up on a number but you should be able to make around 350whp with that setup depending on how much boost you end up running. Im not sure if thats your full mods list but if so I'd look into some form of boost control to add a few more pounds of boost.
​​​​​​​ I was thinking of getting a hallman pro, since it's such a popular option on here 😀 In the future, I am thinking of getting an evo 9 turbo, upgraded 3" or 3.5" intercooler, uicp, ported intake Mani and bigger tb, and that's really it..
Old May 18, 2017, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by badev0
My car made around 350hp on 93 octane fuel and ran out of injector with the factory injectors. I believe boost was around 23lbs on the factory EVO VIII turbo.

Car had basic boltons:
-HKS 272 cams
-Intake/FMIC/Exhaust
-Walbro 255hp
​​​​​​​Nice.. 350whp or crank? What FMIC did you have and what core size?
Old May 18, 2017, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Id assume he means 350whp. In terms of maxxing out the stock injectors, its really up to you. If you plan to really push the stock turbo then eventually it will be the bottleneck. But with a mild set of bolt ons its not really needed. Some people really dont like to push injectors past 90% duty cycle but its also been noted many times that they're still pumping fuel past 100% duty cycle.

So the reality is that when people say they run out of injector it doesnt mean that they technically run out of injector but rather it appears that they are out of injector. Now, sure if youre adding more fuel and the car is still going lean up top and not making any changes then yes, you are out of injector at that point. But just bc your duty cycle is high doesnt mean youre out of injector.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

That was an excellent write up thanks i learned quite a bit from that
Old May 20, 2017, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone...

OP, I talked to some tuners as I am in the same case as you.
MOST of them said change the injectors to either I'D or FIC brands.

Only one gave me advice that if I am keeping my stock turbo, then do not upgrade the injectors. Same Tuner said to have straight pipe to achieve 320-350.

My mechanic recommended to upgrade the springs and retainers when installing kelfords 272, which I did.

Just need some tune now.
Old May 25, 2017, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sagravtj
OP, I talked to some tuners as I am in the same case as you.
MOST of them said change the injectors to either I'D or FIC brands.

Only one gave me advice that if I am keeping my stock turbo, then do not upgrade the injectors. Same Tuner said to have straight pipe to achieve 320-350.

My mechanic recommended to upgrade the springs and retainers when installing kelfords 272, which I did.

Just need some tune now.
What springs and retainers did you get?

Quick Reply: Injectors needed with HKS 272?