Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What does MIVEC reference for timing?

Old May 25, 2017, 07:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 722 Likes on 566 Posts
What does MIVEC reference for timing?

Obviously theirs a fixed CAS for MIVEC and for exhaust cam, but I'm wondering does the MIVEC CAS provide a position relative to itself or in conjunction with feed back from exhaust or crank sensors?

The reason I ask is I see conflicting info on the 4G64 + Mivec setup. Some say set half tooth one way or the other and MIVEC CAS will do the rest (This would assume the CAS references itself and its own location), and some say they adjusted the table one way or the other for the offset (This would assume it references timing to exhaust cam or crank sensor)

Still trying to figure this one out since its not completely straight forward like the exhaust cam is.
Old May 27, 2017, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I don't know anything about MIVEC except what I read in Mitsubishi's advertising. However, it surprises me that some smart cookie doesn't have an Evo running with cam indexers on both cams. It seems like this would be the next big upgrade for the engine providing us with the low rpm torque the engine now lacks.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You will need to offset the mivec table