Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is this the transfer case? Help please!

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this the transfer case? Help please!

Hell, i took my 2003 evo 8 to the track and the first 2 passes where fine but the third one when i launched it i had some really bad wheel hop and the car jerked violently and after the pass i realized that all the gears whined only when on the gas and when i let off or put it in neutral the whine went away but i could hear some metal grinding type of noise but it was very hard to hear. And in 1st if i put the clutch in while moving it would make really weird noises. (By the way i replaced the open diff on the front for a lsd) Help please its driving me crazy!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Transmission!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 02:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
The only way to know for sure is to drain the transmission and transfer case fluid. If it smells and has a black metallic color then that part is blown. Here is what my transfer case sounded like when it was blown. It only made noise on decel, but it was BAD.

Good luck finding the problem. I hope you don't have to waste as much money as I did doing it. I didn't launch it and didn't have any chunks of metal coming out of the oil drain.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man... I've got pretty much the same thing going on with my Evo IX MR. Whines in all gears, but when off the throttle - it disappears. Also, the higher the speed, the louder the noise.

I'm in West Palm Beach too...
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by don keets
Man... I've got pretty much the same thing going on with my Evo IX MR. Whines in all gears, but when off the throttle - it disappears. Also, the higher the speed, the louder the noise.

I'm in West Palm Beach too...
That's usually the transmission t case death whine is regardless of accel or decel but anyway I have brand new Oem ring n pinion and all Oem synchros for fresh rebuild that way u don't gotta spend hundreds on it. Look at my posts on for sale , I'm in Miami!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Wow, how did you launch to do that? Did you launch with clutch fully depressed?

Originally Posted by BeatboxingFTW
Hell, i took my 2003 evo 8 to the track and the first 2 passes where fine but the third one when i launched it i had some really bad wheel hop and the car jerked violently and after the pass i realized that all the gears whined only when on the gas and when i let off or put it in neutral the whine went away but i could hear some metal grinding type of noise but it was very hard to hear. And in 1st if i put the clutch in while moving it would make really weird noises. (By the way i replaced the open diff on the front for a lsd) Help please its driving me crazy!
https://youtu.be/QCwcXKHAVdE