Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost, HP, & Longevity

Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by barneyb
Detonation. Go read the struggles to make aero engines produce more horsepower during WWII. It took a decade to perfect a new aero engine so they worked with what they had - 130 octane fuel, anti detonation fluid (water or water and methanol), intercoolers (the name comes from the fact that the cooler was between the first and second stages of the supercharger), turbos, oil coolers - its all there. Add in the fact that aircraft were also often seeking long range which required lean mixtures. It was easy to get something wrong and make it a one way trip.
That's pretty interesting. I can't imagine how terrifying detonation must be when you're thousands of feet above ground

Originally Posted by 2winscroll
Git-er-done is right it seems like a waste not turning it up. 35 psi is a safe limit and shouldn't hurt your motor if its been built for it. Once you get over 40psi on E85 things have to be just perfect with the tune. Your at 9.5:1 so that's about the limit, any more boost and you have to start pulling a lot of timing. What oil are you running?

As far as the drive train if your not launching the you'll be fine. Just remember the T-cases will fail at this level if your not changing your gear lube very frequently. Everybody is going out and buying "indestructible T-cases" because they had a failure, well let me tell ya most fail because the gear lube was toast not because they overpowered the unit. There really is no way to exceed the torque limit on the transfer case with street tires so when you see a failure on a car that doesn't run slicks, you know it usually was improper maintenance. I suggest you get a well rebuilt T-case and change your gear lube frequently. Same goes for the transmission and rear end. just change the lube about half as often. No need for the "soft gears" on a car that doesn't launch.

You should have no problems running 750hp if properly maintained.

Cheers, 2win
zrod 20w50 every 3k. I'll eventually launch it once i'm comfortable with the power levels. But for now I'd rather not roll the dice. My builder/tuner said I'd almost certainly grenade the tcase at these power levels.
As much as I'd like to run 35+psi I feel that room for error goes out the window with that much power. A few counts of knock under peak load could be RIP for a bearing. I'll probably scoot around at 25psi and turn it up to 30 whenever i'm in mexico, just for peace of mind.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by DatEngnr_Bro
That's pretty interesting. I can't imagine how terrifying detonation must be when you're thousands of feet above ground

zrod 20w50 every 3k. I'll eventually launch it once i'm comfortable with the power levels. But for now I'd rather not roll the dice. My builder/tuner said I'd almost certainly grenade the tcase at these power levels.
As much as I'd like to run 35+psi I feel that room for error goes out the window with that much power. A few counts of knock under peak load could be RIP for a bearing. I'll probably scoot around at 25psi and turn it up to 30 whenever i'm in mexico, just for peace of mind.
Sounds like a plan, you should be good with that!