Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch grinds as it's disengaging from a stop

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch grinds as it's disengaging from a stop

Hi, my clutch just started acting up. Everything is normal other than when I disengage it from a dead stop it grinds and sounds as if 2 gears are coming together and then when fully disengaged the sound goes away. If I baby it on take off all is ok, even when if grinds it still takes off normally, but I feel the grinding in the clutch pedal. The clutch holds @ 29psi still and does not seem to be slipping. I'm not looking for a miracle internet diagnosis but I would like to know if anyone has any incite on this situation. I've read one thread on here about it happening to a guy but it went nowhere. I have a new clutch to install and am awaiting a trans rebuild as well due to horrible 3/4 synchros btw.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I was getting a chirp during the 1-2 shift. It was worse two winters ago but returned during cold months this last winter. This spring I had the transmission out and found a rough gritty TOB. This after 25K of use. So, maybe it could be that.

I wonder if these bearings could be sitting in a Mitsubishi warehouse for years and the grease going bad. I got some OEM hoses and couplers the other day and some of the labels on those were brown with age.

Last edited by barneyb; Oct 11, 2017 at 08:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old Oct 11, 2017, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
I havent run into that with my evo and ive done two clutches in the 9 years ive had it. But if something is grinding, i think something would give eventually..
​​​​​​​Could possibly be throw out bearing or maybe a loose clutch lever, something that makes contact during clutch pedal movement. Hopefully you get it figured out!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 08:43 PM

My first thought was the TOB, but wouldn't it be constantly making a grinding noise? did you ever feel it in the pedal?

Last edited by Dirtyblackevo; Oct 11, 2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dirtyblackevo
My first thought was the TOB, but wouldn't it be constantly making a grinding noise? did you ever feel it in the pedal?
You'd think. I thought it weird what mine was doing. BTW, it was the 3-2 shift now that I think about it. I never felt anything in the pedal.

Clutch waiting and transmission coming sounds like a good solution.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I know it doesnt help, but i am having the same issue. What clutch are you using?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 01:03 PM

Unknown clutch as it was installed before I bought the car. I was just at ACT to have my friends look at it and it is most likely the rivets hitting the flywheel. They will only rub under a heavy load and it won't do it I'm reverse because of the gearing. I have zero signs of clutch failure other than the grind and it's never slipped on me either. I also have an uncountable number of launches on it, I am super happy it's held this good this long. Still is a head scratcher though....
Old Oct 24, 2017, 08:19 PM

Wasn't rivets, this is what it was
Attached Thumbnails Clutch grinds as it's disengaging from a stop-photo366.jpg  
Old Oct 24, 2017, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

When it rains it pours.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:13 AM

Pours is for sure. 2100$ later a rebuilt trans with new gears, synchros and sliders, an act clutch and she's golden. Took us 3 days to get it back to good. But man does that trans install suck!!!!!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dirtyblackevo
Took us 3 days to get it back to good. But man does that trans install suck!!!!!
Before my last transmission install I was looking at the FSM where it talked about moving the engine forward. So, pull the radiator, hang the engine, pull the drive shaft, pull all four motor mounts, pull the shifter arms (danger here - return spring can fall into the transmission's innards) cut off the stupid long studs on the end of the transmission, move the engine forward and tilt it down at the bell housing end and sure enough the transmission install is a snap. So, still sucks, what I did was move all the work to the preparation.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
Before my last transmission install I was looking at the FSM where it talked about moving the engine forward. So, pull the radiator, hang the engine, pull the drive shaft, pull all four motor mounts, pull the shifter arms (danger here - return spring can fall into the transmission's innards) cut off the stupid long studs on the end of the transmission, move the engine forward and tilt it down at the bell housing end and sure enough the transmission install is a snap. So, still sucks, what I did was move all the work to the preparation.
Thanks for the info man, I’ll take that into consideration next time. I’m sure I’ll need an engine hangar for that one