Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Throw out bearing removal help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throw out bearing removal help

Hello,

I just recently posted with in issue and had amazing help on here resolving the problem. So I'm back again with yet another. I'm no professional mechanic by any means so if there's a simple way to fix my problem sorry in advance lol. My issue is I'm trying to take my trans off an old motor to bolt up to the new one. The engine and trans are out of the car still bolted together. Now for some reason when I go to tug on the clutch fork and get my flat head in to twist in between the wedge collar and TOB to loosen the TOB so I can unbolt the trans but doesn't want to budge at all. The clutch fork doesn't seem to move much either but I'm not Sure if that's do to the twin disk clutch. So again if there is anyone willing to help me out again I'd appreciate any and all helpful in put. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
it is usually a pig to get out or goes out very easily..

you need to push the TOB towards the clutch cover, to compress the clip completely, and then you use a flathead screwdriver to take it out...

if it doesnt work, you can use the two holes on the trans to get a tool in and unbolt the clutch cover. Then you can get the tob off when you get the trans off the engine..
Old Nov 13, 2017, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo

if it doesnt work, you can use the two holes on the trans to get a tool in and unbolt the clutch cover. Then you can get the tob off when you get the trans off the engine..
Last time I did my clutch I ended up having to unbolt the cover and then take the TOB off once everything was out of the car.

Last edited by rocknsnoboarder; Nov 14, 2017 at 06:04 AM. Reason: grammar
Old Nov 13, 2017, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rocknsnoboarder
Last time I did my clutch I ended up having to do unbolt the cover and then take the TOB off once everything was out of the car.
Agreed, if its fighting too much and you dont have an extra hand to pull/push on the clutch fork, then unbolt the pressure plate and be done with it... (Side-note) Hydraulic release bearings are life-savers.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
I was in your shoes just a few weeks ago, spent 2 hours trying to remove the TOB from the peak hole on the bottom but had no luck, the motor was also out of the car lol.

What I did was remove the black breather hose/tube from the topside of the tranny and wedge my screw driver in and got it out in 5 seconds.