Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Piston hitting plug?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 09:03 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Meh. Possibly. I think you are crazy for getting on the throttle though If it's bad enough to detonate, it's bad enough to break ring lands. Don't ask how I know.
The following users liked this post:
ign 5 (Apr 30, 2018)
Old Apr 30, 2018, 09:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Meh. Possibly. I think you are crazy for getting on the throttle though If it's bad enough to detonate, it's bad enough to break ring lands. Don't ask how I know.
Just trying to troubleshoot it. haha We have 100 octane here, 8 bucks a gallon, maybe put in half a tank of that mixed with 91, see what that does?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:21 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by ign 5
Just trying to troubleshoot it. haha We have 100 octane here, 8 bucks a gallon, maybe put in half a tank of that mixed with 91, see what that does?
If the gap stays open, then you know it's *probably* detonation that's closing it. Much safer than trying to get it to detonate on purpose! .
100oct. Lucky bastard LOL
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
4 gallons of 100 octane and top off with 91 octane will get you about 93 in your tank. You can put in 6 gallons in case it's not true 100 octane.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Run the car to fuel light being on, and put 5-6 gallons of 100 in. That will be plenty of octane to tell you.
Old May 10, 2018, 03:22 PM

I am at my wits end with this car!!! hahaha

I have been off here for awhile hoping to have a solution instead of more complaining. So the higher octane seemed to fix it, at first. then I did another full fill up, only 3 gals ish, and it ran great for a little while and then did it again. I decided to try to lower my boost down to 20 psi, thinking maybe that would lean it out enough (as mentioned before, no wideband at the moment, wanting a Jap brand, but seems like there are nonw, so AEM will be the answer. anyway... it happend again, so I fixed it, then it happend again.. within 3 miles, and I babied it. So, could a tune really mess with it even out of boost???

anyway, I decide to go home, and put my Brand new plugs in again, brand new. And I got a flat and put the spare on, not important to the story, but showing I have been driving it like a baby since I have had the spare on. I drive to work, no probs, drive home (13 miles each way) and I am like, lets see if I can boost and as soon as i get to about 5k rpm it happened again!

Sorry the picture is focused all strange, but it was sunny and I did it real quick, did not really look at the photo...but, it really looks like somthing hit it! so I regapp it, baby it, and get it home. Take them all it, it was just number 4, all the rest are good, so I take them all out, and sand them and put them back in and running alright. I am now about half a tank, and deicde to put another 3 gals in of 100, and have had zero issues once again, so 6 gals might be what I have to try next fill up.

Even though it is running good, I have decided to look at my pistons anyway.

Man was that frustrating moving that around, I finally got used to it, and see nothing at all wrong, just filthy filthy pistons. No pieces of anything etc etc. the piston had a few little marks on it, that maybe something posible could have hit it at one point, but I also think that could just be my imagination hahah. and also put it in my ear, soo dirty in there!! hahaha anyway, I put it back together.

I also check my timing thinking maybe that is off??

dead nuts on top, but looks like I cannot check crank pulley until I remove the acc belts...what is up with that??? So that is still on my list.

Basically, it still looks like it could be tuning, so I went to the tuner I want to use, and he was not there to set an appointment, and is not answering his phone/text/message/facebook. I hear he is almost impossible to get a hold of.

I also still want to check my timing on the crank side, my car seems to have alot of mechanical noise and that is why I have thought timing might be off since the start.

And, seafoam. I have never tried it, and I am interested in trying it out, but I have yet to find any actual positive results from it, but at the same time could it really hurt?

I have noticed also, when I floor it, the car will get up to like 20psi, (or wherever I have it set to) and when it hit 20psi it does not start pulling like it is in boost for like a sec or so after it hits the boost, like 300 rpms after it hits boost it starts to pull, tune issue also? timing issue?

I am at my wits end with this car honestly. I love driving it, but it sucks where I am not even confident enough to pull out to make a right turn in traffic and I am scared it will misfire and not move. I just want to enjoy it. I have never had a car with this weird *** issue.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old May 10, 2018, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

You need to get this fixed ASAP and save your engine.
ign 5 (May 11, 2018)
Old May 10, 2018, 05:22 PM
kaj

It looks like something is knocking around inside the cylinder....??? Unfortunately, the one part of the plug we need to see is out of focus LOL. But, it looks like That plug is beat and I would NOT drive the car until it was fixed. If not too late, it may save you some money later.
ign 5 (May 11, 2018)
Old May 10, 2018, 05:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Obvious metal to metal gouges and marks on the plug and you continue to drive it and go WOT????

Do compression check, do leak down and I bet it's time to pull the head. I'd pull the head now before you pull a rod from the side of the motor.
ign 5 (May 11, 2018)
Old May 10, 2018, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Do a compression test. If good, send injectors out for cleaning and get a real tune.
ign 5 (May 11, 2018)
Old May 12, 2018, 11:48 AM
kaj

I wouldn't drive that car until you pull the head off. Something has to be moving around in the cylinder. If it were the piston, I'd it would hit the same spot over and over. You have multiple marks on the plug which at the very LEAST will cause about 100 different hot spots (which is really the least of your concerns). Get 'er checked out and fixed asap. If it's not too late, driving on it will probably only cause further damage. Not worth the risk, IMO.
Old May 14, 2018, 07:27 AM

Hi everyone, Still pretty dang sure nothing in there. I used the camera, and saw nothing. Another thing is strang it ihas happened to more then 1 cylinder... And it something was bouncing around in there, wouldn't it go out the exhaust by now? I decided to check timing, cam and crank side, both spot on, so that is out..cannot be timing. Also, I put 6 gallons of 100 in and so far about 100 miles without a hiccup. It just has to be octane, just the tune, Has to be. I will attempt to go to tuner again today.

I agree, it for sure looks like something is hitting it, I still might attempt the seafoam while waiting for my tune, but runes good on 6 gals on 100. no problems. I will see tuners opinion also.

I will keep you all posted! thanks.
Old May 14, 2018, 07:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
H It just has to be octane, just the tune, Has to be.
You mean you want it to be. Whatever is damaging the plugs is damaging other things as well. Have you done a compression and leak down test yet? They are both easy to do. Compression test takes under 30 minutes and you can do it at home. Leak down is slightly more complicated just because you need compressed air and the ability to put each cylinder at TDC.

For the love of anything, STOP GOING WOT.

I can't tell you the amount of times I have done impromptu compression tests in hotel parking lots, at the dealer, side of the road...
Old May 14, 2018, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Definitely do compression test before retune to get the most out of your tune. Leak down too if you have a big enough air compressor/tank.
Old May 14, 2018, 08:37 AM

Will do guys. I imagine I can rent one, or might just look into just buying one, I will do some research today. I have done compression tests in the past, so do know how, leak down I have never done. But I guess I will do the compression test first and go from there.
Thanks for all of your help.

Quick Reply: Piston hitting plug?