Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

No power to coils

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No power to coils

short version is i have zero spark. Upon further investigation my coils are not getting any power. I started the car a few days again and it just died and never started again. I have replaced cam and crank sensors as well as tried stock coils and spark tech COP. The fault is the same as it cranks and will not fire. Is there a relay for the coils somewhere?

car is a 03 Evo garage.
Old May 13, 2018, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuse nr. 1 in JUNCTION BLOCK.
Check if it is blown.
Also if it is still 10A.
Usually upgraded to 15A when fitting COP
Old May 13, 2018, 08:00 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
So there is power and signal, based on the parts you said you have replaced that makes me think you meant signal, but if you could clarify that would be helpful. At any rate

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k3l...ew?usp=sharing

for some reason i can't upload an image so i linked my wiring diagram for the ignition circuit.
Old May 13, 2018, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

So i have power and signal to the cam and crank sensors. I have even swapped with new sensors to be sure. When i place the tester at the coils i get zero voltage. I check for spark on the cop and stock coils as well and get nothing. My injectors are firing as i have fuel in all cylinders. So there is no power getting to the coils at all. I’ll check out the diagram.

I have checked that fuse fuse but to be 100% sure i will replace with a new 15A fuse as stated above.

Im starting to lean towards a wiring issue or ECU.
Old May 13, 2018, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Big Bald
So i have power and signal to the cam and crank sensors. I have even swapped with new sensors to be sure. When i place the tester at the coils i get zero voltage. I check for spark on the cop and stock coils as well and get nothing. My injectors are firing as i have fuel in all cylinders. So there is no power getting to the coils at all. I’ll check out the diagram.

I have checked that fuse fuse but to be 100% sure i will replace with a new 15A fuse as stated above.

Im starting to lean towards a wiring issue or ECU.
Yah check the diagram, if its a power issue there aren't too many things it could be, power goes from the ignition switch through a fuse then straight to the coil packs.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Yah check the diagram, if its a power issue there aren't too many things it could be, power goes from the ignition switch through a fuse then straight to the coil packs.
Is there like a junction box? I assume its splits off at some point to go to each coil.

Im gonna to start with tracing from the ignition to that 10 amp fuse. My guess is i have a break in a wires somewhere or some corrosion. For grins and giggles i tried flashing another ROM and i got the same results with the no start.
Old May 13, 2018, 12:11 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
have you tried jumping battery positive to the coil feed to allow it power? This would just be for troubleshooting of course.

I can't imagine the evo would have a computer controller power feed for the coils, so I would think the ECU would be something you could ignore completely.

I know certain OEMS use a relay that is computer controlled. Once the ECU see's an rpm signal from cam and crank it powers up the injectors, coils and other hardware- but I don't THINK the evo is that advanced.

I could be wrong.
Old May 13, 2018, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

i haven't tried that and didn't even think to try that. I will give that a shot.

I believe the issue is either at C-214 or C-129 based on the diagram from earlier. I am about to start testing at those locations.
Old May 13, 2018, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that C-129 is common for "electrical gremlings"

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-how-fix.html
Old May 13, 2018, 01:21 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter2F
I think that C-129 is common for "electrical gremlings"

You have to remember- if you have a corrosion problem, you MUST test the circuit when it is LOADED.

Voltage measurements are not enough, the circuit needs to be carrying a current to understand if it is able to carry a load.

If you have a wire with high corrosion (green-cruddies) it will many times show voltage with a voltmeter, but when it comes time to carry a current the voltage will drop significantly.

Scanner-danner on youtube has EXCELLENT videos that have training on this exact subject. I HIGHLY recommend them.
The following users liked this post:
JUANPSI (Dec 15, 2023)
Old May 13, 2018, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jp7
have you tried jumping battery positive to the coil feed to allow it power? This would just be for troubleshooting of course.

I can't imagine the evo would have a computer controller power feed for the coils, so I would think the ECU would be something you could ignore completely.

I know certain OEMS use a relay that is computer controlled. Once the ECU see's an rpm signal from cam and crank it powers up the injectors, coils and other hardware- but I don't THINK the evo is that advanced.

I could be wrong.
The ignition coils get power straight from the ignition switch, the ECU is not in control of that part of the ignition circuit on the Evo. At least thats my read of the FSM diagram.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

So hooking power from the battery to each white wire with the red stripe on the coil connectors produces power and spark. I was able to start and drive the car this way. Thanks for that suggestion.

Now time to trace where i am losing power at. I will start with C129 as that seem to be the most common problem.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

where can I get a pin out of C-129? I can't seem to find one via search. Want to know which pin is the coil power.

Edit....if i am reading correctly its pin 18 on C-129.

Last edited by Big Bald; May 14, 2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old May 14, 2018, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Big Bald
where can I get a pin out of C-129? I can't seem to find one via search. Want to know which pin is the coil power.

Edit....if i am reading correctly its pin 18 on C-129.
Yah thats right pin 18, what also helps is the color coding, you can see it goes in "Y-G" (Yellow-green) and comes out the other side "w" (white)
Old May 15, 2018, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Long story short...it ended up being the fuse after all. Visually it doesn't look blown. I put the tester on it and no power. Replaced with a 15 amp and all is well. It seemed to separate at the side...never seen that on a fuse before and not sure how that even happened. All is well now......thanks for all the help and documentation.