Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Jerks and quirks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 05:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Do you have the means to pull a log from the ECU? If you can, post the log up here & the guys can take a look at it

Ultimatley, It might be best to source out a tuner (a competent one!). Even if you have to travel a bit to get there

Engine bay looks good & well sorted but needs a detail for sure.

How many KM on are on it. Might be time for a major service & tune

Cheers
Old Jun 6, 2018, 08:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The car has 52000 km on it. Will try to get the software for the piggy back today and see if I can get the log myself (hopefully I don't mess it up).
Old Jun 6, 2018, 08:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by caz3126
The car has 52000 km on it. Will try to get the software for the piggy back today and see if I can get the log myself (hopefully I don't mess it up).
Oh, thats only 32,000 miles. Wow.

Yes, if you can log it & post up the results, we have some ECU gurus here that can help read it
Old Jun 13, 2018, 02:26 PM

Nothing new as yet. Still awaiting my MAF Sensor. I got the E5T08072/0Z20 from engine land inc.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 03:18 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Has anyone asked yet: are you sure you're not hitting boost cut? If you are tuned for xxpsi and go over, the ECU may be butting in.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I sort did have a similar problem as the car jerking a WOT or even partial open throttle. To me it could be your injectors, do you know the size and how long they been in the motor. I just swap mine to high impedence WOW the car is smooth no more jerking and also a good tune. My prior injector were low impedence with is horrible for street driving and way to big 1800cc. I change to 1300cc it great! I had did every check you did for me it was my injectors. Injector might just need to clean. Probably a lot residual stuff in the fuel try that first.
The following users liked this post:
caz3126 (Jun 15, 2018)
Old Jun 15, 2018, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by gqcode
I sort did have a similar problem as the car jerking a WOT or even partial open throttle. To me it could be your injectors, do you know the size and how long they been in the motor. I just swap mine to high impedence WOW the car is smooth no more jerking and also a good tune. My prior injector were low impedence with is horrible for street driving and way to big 1800cc. I change to 1300cc it great! I had did every check you did for me it was my injectors. Injector might just need to clean. Probably a lot residual stuff in the fuel try that first.
gqcode from day 1 I was wondering if its my fuel pump, can't shake the feeling. I checked to have my injectors cleaned, but the mechanic said he has no time, some other day, because of the way he brushed me off I never went back. When the MAF goes in, hopefully it'll be sorted, but I will have to get them cleaned to be safe.

Originally Posted by kaj
Has anyone asked yet: are you sure you're not hitting boost cut? If you are tuned for xxpsi and go over, the ECU may be butting in.
kaj I don't think its boost cut, with the piggy back, I think they would have removed the cut. I would not rule it out though.

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Do you have the means to pull a log from the ECU? If you can, post the log up here & the guys can take a look at it
MinusPrevious I have been trying to get the log almost every day. It took me some time to get the software, now that I have the software(I think), the driver issues for the connection I can't get. Last night I eventually put windows xp on to see if it'll help, will try again today if I get the time to do so.

Thanks for all the help so far guys. Every bit of advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by caz3126; Jun 15, 2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 02:20 PM

Finally got my MAF sensor almost 2 weeks now..the car is a lot better..boosting seems to be on point, had a boost leak test done, it's sealed tight..however with the new maf in, the engine is missing, I need to get around to checking the spark plugs gap.
any suggestion to how much I should gap them? And if the gap is fine and its still missing, what else should I check?
The delay at 4-5k is still there but not as bad, so I'm wondering if whatever is causing the miss, is cause that, I'm usually boosting at 18psi exact, on a hard run with good cool air, I've peaked 18.4.
As for the piggy back log, the day I finally got xp on the laptop, the next day the laptop crashed and that was the end...then I couldn't get into evom.net..finally got in the few minute before typing this..lol..thanks again guys, seems like these cars are never fully sorted, so I look forward to suggestions
Old Jul 15, 2018, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
The best way is to log the car.
Reading your posts i suggest to have a look at your fuel pump also.
Convert to SD , you will love the drivability and smoothness.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
gap .022
BTW the your hesitation I believe maybe fuel pump it don't think so more like your coil pack! Are you still on the original coil pack?
You check the spark plug but for me the key is that at 18psi that when problem start as you build boost it s harder for the ignition to happen.Need to have good conductor if it is the original coil pack it time to replace them. I would get a Spoolin up cop. If you have a friend with an Evo swap with him and try to do a pull. and see what it does for you.

Last edited by gqcode; Sep 7, 2018 at 10:14 AM.
caz3126 (Sep 21, 2018)
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:44 AM

sorry for the late reply. I will definitely try my friend's coil pack from his Evo 4. I have no idea why i didn't think of that sooner. If that doesn't work I had my mind set on a WALBRO. Gosh it is so expensive to get parks here, but I am going slow n steady.
Thank you for the advice.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:10 PM

As the young heads say "Bae" after a good clean up

Last edited by caz3126; Sep 27, 2018 at 12:37 PM.
EVO196 (Oct 3, 2018)
Old Oct 2, 2018, 06:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so did you manage to resolve your issue?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Nice car man, got some nice driving roads too.
caz3126 (Oct 3, 2018)
Old Oct 3, 2018, 07:27 AM

Very sorry i didn't reply, I could have sworn I did. I gap the plugs @ 0.25 on the gauge I have, and it has improved the breaking up. Very rarely i would break up on a good run, but nothing as hard as before, and I notice it comes more when I go full throttle. The tip of the plugs are black when i took them out. I took a look at the coil packs, and they look almost new (ralliart packs). Also did an oil change although I did one 3 month ago (Mobil 1 10w30 full syn). Would be doing another change hopefully the end of this month, because what i got out was filthy.

Quick Reply: Jerks and quirks