Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Comp Clutch stage 2 clutch kit vs rigid clutch kit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 07:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Comp Clutch stage 2 clutch kit vs rigid clutch kit

Hey guys, I'm new here. So far, really like this forum; It's filled with great info. From what I've gathered Comp's stage 2 clutch has 2 options 1 being the normal clutch kit and the other a rigid clutch kit. I gave them a call and the rigid kit has springs on the disc and the other does not (doesn't make sense to me, but that's what she said). I'm assuming it makes the clutch pedal a bit stiffer. My question is does anyone have experience with both kits and can tell me the pros/cons, which you prefer, and why?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been covered. Tried multiple searches and didn't find anything related to the rigid vs regular setup.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 08:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey Welcome aboard. I not that well versed in clutches. Ive been running the ACT HDSS in my EvO

Seems, from what ive seen on the boards, many of us run the ACT

Now, there are many members running hi pwr setups that run the Exedy twins & other higher performing assemblies

What kind of power is yours making?

Old Jun 21, 2018, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Stick with a sprung clutch unless you have some reason to run unsprung.

Street driving is much nicer on sprung clutches
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. At the moment I’m not sure what it’s putting down. Just got her a week ago and trying to get things lined out before a tune. Feels stock with a possible tune already. I’m not planning on going any higher than 350-400 whp/wtq for a while.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 01:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Don't get an unsprung clutch. There are zero advantages to them and they can damage the splines on the input shaft with enough launches.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris9MR
I gave them a call and the rigid kit has springs on the disc and the other does not (doesn't make sense to me, but that's what she said).
The person you spoke with has her facts reversed.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 06:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
I'm running my second Comp 2 Stg 2 with the sprung center. Great all around clutch. Pedal action is heavier than stock but that comes with needing to hold more torque than stock. I get 40-50k miles per disk on my daily driver Evo 8 at 475 AWHP / 400 AWTQ.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 09:39 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Just my $.02:
For about ten years, I ran solid-disk 6-puck clutches (ACT) and did fine daily driving. Everyone else would stall the car, but I was used to it. At first my focus was drag racing, so I feel the solid disk was appropriate, but then I started road racing. This was over those years, in different cars, with HD and XT pressure plates.
My last two clutches have been sprung "street disks". One was an Exedy (I will never buy again-the only time I used a non-ACT clutch) and my current is an HDSS. It drives around town like stock and grips well enough for the occasional Autocross launch. The sprung disk is quieter, easier to drive; it really makes no sense not to get it unless you are a hard-core drag racer and launching the crap out of the car all the time.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=kaj;11827843]Just my $.02:
For about ten years, I ran solid-disk 6-puck clutches (ACT) and did fine daily driving. Everyone else would stall the car, but I was used to it. At first my focus was drag racing, so I feel the solid disk was appropriate, but then I started road racing. This was over those years, in different cars, with HD and XT pressure plates.
My last two clutches have been sprung "street disks". One was an Exedy (I will never buy again-the only time I used a non-ACT clutch) and my current is an HDSS. It drives around town like stock and grips well enough for the occasional Autocross launch. The sprung disk is quieter, easier to drive; it really makes no sense not to get it unless you are a hard-core drag racer and launching the crap out of the car all the time.[/QU
why would you never buy exedy?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:56 PM
kaj

[QUOTE=MiloEvo VIII;11827904]
Originally Posted by kaj
Just my $.02:
My last two clutches have been sprung "street disks". One was an Exedy (I will never buy again-the only time I used a non-ACT clutch) and my current is an HDSS. It drives around town like stock and grips well enough for the occasional Autocross launch. The sprung disk is quieter, easier to drive; it really makes no sense not to get it unless you are a hard-core drag racer and launching the crap out of the car all the time.[/QU
why would you never buy exedy?
The one I had (I actually paid for an ACT but the ******* put in an Exedy; the ONE time I let someone work on my car for me) and it shattered on me. One of the springs in the clutch disk came loose and jammed up the pressure plate. Took half a day to get everything apart. I've never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever had any issues with ACT, over four different platforms, so I stick with them. Just preference, really.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 05:55 PM
WOT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hated my comp clutch disc. if you ever slipped the clutch, OMG it was horrible smelling.

go with act for a cost saving alt.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 07:44 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Ended up going with the ACT HDSS and streetlite fly.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 05:00 PM
kaj

You will be more than happy with that setup. It's exactly what I have on my track car. Zero complaints from me.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
You will be more than happy with that setup. It's exactly what I have on my track car. Zero complaints from me.
My current set up is slipping bad, so anything is better than what I have now. Since I just purchased the car, I have no idea what the previous owner installed. I’ve had a few ACT’s on other vehicles and haven’t been disappointed. Looking forward to it.